Roaches

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
WeatherMan_Tom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm
Country:
Location: New Yorl

Roaches

Postby WeatherMan_Tom » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:39 pm

anyone out there using roaches to feed? what kind of roaches are you using? Just want to know, cause I might get some, I think Felix would enjoy it!
SHiZ-niBBlE-Bam-SNiP-sNaP-saCk
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:50 pm

LOVE my discoids. Don't fly, don't climb, juvies are a perfect snack. Very healthy for blueys. Dubias are another popular feeder. :D
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm trying to get some roaches of my own lol. I would recommend dubias and discoids. There is a place called ny worms.com I guess there in ny u could get them there because they are close or theroachranch.com,ebay(I find a suprisinglly large amount of people selling them here), and kingsnake.com
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
WeatherMan_Tom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 10:27 pm
Country:
Location: New Yorl

Postby WeatherMan_Tom » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Sweetness thanks
SHiZ-niBBlE-Bam-SNiP-sNaP-saCk
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:54 am

Coomassie loves his dubias and they are super easy.
Cay T.
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 am

mine all love the dubias :)
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Postby JoshChimera » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:40 pm

SapphireTigress1 wrote:mine all love the dubias :)

Same as my skink. Dubia are great and very easy to care for & feed.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
User avatar
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Country:
Location: California

Postby Adalon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:02 pm

Dubias are fantastic! No doubt they are Adalon's favorite thing to chase and eat. A few days after getting him I bought a couple medium sized dubias and he's gone crazy for them ever since. Here's a tiny Adalon eating his first cockroaches ever :o:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTIO4ryTdXs


They are so much better than crickets/worms/mice to raise for feeding lizards, I'm surprised that they aren't more popular. Dubias in particular are the best for me as they have next to no smell, are completely silent and since they can't fly/jump/climb I don't worry about escapes. They also get big enough that a single adult can make for nearly a full meal. One downside I've found is that they mature into adults very slowly and if you are relying on having a steady supply of adults to feed you may be frustrated at how long it takes. I've been having bad luck with my colony's nymphs developing much at all and after 3 months or so, I've yet to actually raise my own full size adult from birth. I'm kind of guessing it's a humidity issue since I only spray them once a week and they need a bit of humidity to molt and grow.

Here's a pic of my colony from a couple days ago when I separated the nymphs and cleaned up their cage:

Image

*Not pictured but just off screen is a full grown skink going absolutely crazy inside of his tank after he heard me opening up the roach cage :lol:
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)
User avatar
doss
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
Country:
Location: DFW TX

Postby doss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm

I use dubias, discoids, and hissers (usually nymphs or mid-sized). Never had any complaints from the skinks! :)
Gary
---
Wednesday Vegetarian
User avatar
Anderous
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm
Country:
Location: Gresham Oregon

Postby Anderous » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:11 pm

this will be my first post here, i use Dubia for all my herps, the cheapest website ive ever found is buydubiaroaches.com . fantastic prices
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves.

The three core values of American society: Lying, Cheating, and stealing.
User avatar
doss
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:17 pm
Country:
Location: DFW TX

Postby doss » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Anderous wrote:this will be my first post here, i use Dubia for all my herps, the cheapest website ive ever found is buydubiaroaches.com . fantastic prices


Howdy!

Also, I've used this website before as well, and it does indeed have good prices.
Gary

---

Wednesday Vegetarian
herpgirl2510
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 55
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:47 pm
Country:
Location: rokport ma

Postby herpgirl2510 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:52 am

Anderous thanks for the info their prices are great. My savannah wiped out my colony so I have to start over.
Pastel leatherback beardie "feta"
Beardie "Rosie"
0.0.1 northern BTS
Male dominant banded ball python
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:58 am

herpgirl2510 wrote:Anderous thanks for the info their prices are great. My savannah wiped out my colony so I have to start over.
I wanna see that O_O
WOuld be awsome >:D
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Country:
Location: California

Postby Adalon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:31 am

herpgirl2510 wrote:Anderous thanks for the info their prices are great. My savannah wiped out my colony so I have to start over.


This reminds me, I had a dream a couple weeks back that somehow my skink escaped and I couldn't find him anywhere for days and days. Then I went to check on the roaches only to find Adalon sitting in the cage looking like an inflated water balloon and an exhausted look on his face as he had eaten every roach and couldn't go to the potty without water. Very strange dream. :shock:
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)
User avatar
Anderous
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:01 pm
Country:
Location: Gresham Oregon

Postby Anderous » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:17 pm

your welcome, i searched a LOOOONG time to find that website, i just hated all the other prices for roaches out there.
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves.



The three core values of American society: Lying, Cheating, and stealing.
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:02 am

I have a bunch of dubia roaches but can never seem to use them fast enough. My skink does enjoy killing them-but the wings/legs are a bit offputting if he's not particularly hungry.
User avatar
Greg
Multi Man
Multi Man
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:04 pm
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby Greg » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:44 pm

I use dubia roaches as well. I've had a colony living in a tall garbage can in my office for years. My wife, who hates crickets and insects in general has no idea I keep them to feed the lizards. She thinks I buy them at Petco.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 am

O_O GREG IS BACK :banana: how's it been? How are the skinks? If you have enough roaches..would you be willing to sell any to me :D
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Greg
Multi Man
Multi Man
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:04 pm
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby Greg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:32 pm

xxmonitorlizardxx wrote:O_O GREG IS BACK :banana: how's it been? How are the skinks? If you have enough roaches..would you be willing to sell any to me :D


Since you are in NJ, I'd be willing to give them to you when I have too many. I recently thinned the colony, so it will need to build back up. Send me a PM and I'll let you know.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 206 guests