Why a terrarium and not a cage?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
skiblits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am
Country:

Why a terrarium and not a cage?

Postby skiblits » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:49 pm

I mentioned to a friend that I was planning on getting a blue tongue skink for my birthday and that I was gathering items so that I could set up the terrarium. She mentioned that she had an extra terrarium and that she would drop it off at my house. When I came home I found and super large guinea pig cage on my porch! I have no clue what she thought I was talking about but seeing such a large guinea pig cage got me thinking. Why do we use glass aquariums instead of cages?
My first thought was that some reptiles could fit threw the bars. However a larger reptile such as the BTS I want, wouldn't be able to. Then what about the humidity? I know that desert dwelling lizards and BTS as well don't need super high humidity. While thinking about this I also realized that they do make all screen cages for some reptiles too! How is that different from a cage? Other then the obvious fact of smaller holes. So now my question is, would I be able to turn this guinea pig cage into a nice housing for my BTS? I've created my own cages for my birds, mantids and ferrets, so why couldn't I use this guinea cage for my BTS? The bars are metal so the heat lamp wouldn't melt anything, and the bottom is big enough for bedding, and since I don't HAVE to feed it crickets I wont have to worry about food jumping out. I can always use other protein sources or even make a separate feeding area for meal times. The cage measures 36"L x 18"W x 24"H which according to the care sheet is perfect. I know I can always put some screen between the cage top and the lamp too just to make sure I avoid any toasty toes.
I just wanted to hear all of your thoughts on costume cages and whether or not you think I would be able to make a suitable house for my BTS out of a guinea cage.
Thank you everyone!
Much love to you all!
Skibs
Turtles make great pets... or soup!
User avatar
brunetteoctober
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 736
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:51 am
Country:
Location: Arcata, Ca

Postby brunetteoctober » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:00 pm

besides reasons you have already mentioned, wire cages are not typically used because you cannot properly regulate temperature and humidity as you can in a solid/glass terrarium. its all about the temp.
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:33 pm

As well as difficulty with regulating the temperature and humidity, as brunetteoctober mentioned, blueys are actually rather capable climbers, although they certainly dont look it, but are terrible when it comes to the whole getting back down bit = a fall. Also, when they want out/just cause they can, they also tend to rub their nose against the sides of their cage, and with a wire cage it can damage the scales on their nose, although this can be fixed by placing cardboard/ wood/ plastic etc.

You could use it for short trips outside?
User avatar
critterguy
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am
Country:

Postby critterguy » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:55 pm

The main issue I see is that blueys may well injure themselves rubbing their snout on the bars. It might be usable if you put a skirt of some material around the inside to prevent that. It all depends on how widely spaced the bars are. Anything much bigger than the blueys snout and its going to try to push through it.

I'd be interested to hear more experienced members comments on use of wire cages and reptiles. Aside from large outdoor enclosures I've never heard of it.
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Postby robere » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:47 pm

To me it would be more about the rubbing of the snout/mouth area on the wire. Reptiles are very prone to mouth rot and infections from mouth injuries.
Plus the heat and humidity thing already mentioned.
User avatar
skiblits
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 am
Country:

Postby skiblits » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for the advice. It would have been a fun project to work on but I think for the sake of temperature and nose rubbing I'll skip on the modified guinea cage and stick with a 40 breeder.
thanks for the help guys!
Turtles make great pets... or soup!
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 am

Some people prefer having there gigas species with higher humidity ;)
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Rush
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
Country:
Location: Portland, Oregon

Postby Rush » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:38 pm

True that.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009

-Brett-

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1422 guests