Healthy or Getting Too Heavy?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
oldnotdead
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:25 am
Country:
Location: Utah
Contact:

Healthy or Getting Too Heavy?

Postby oldnotdead » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Image
Image

My Northern Dixie is now 11.5 months old and 16.5 inches or 41.9 cm long and at times she looks pretty chubby. She eats real good and I'm wondering if I'm feeding her too much. She's outgrown my scale so I don't know her weight. I know it's not good to make them grow too fast or too big. I'm currently feeding her about every third day. What do you think, is she beginning to get a little overweight?
Jim
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't think she looks over weight at all. I have a 12 month old caramel northern female she is 20.5 inches long, 725 grams and she is just a little chunky (but thats how i like my reptiles). I think she looks perfect :D
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Looks fine to me!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:08 pm

She is a bit big, but that's pretty normal for this time of year IMO. Right now all my skinks are eating as much as they can and getting chubby in preparation for winter. She looks very good and healthy :)
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 pm

I just want to hug her!!
raredesign
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm
Country:

Postby raredesign » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:59 am

A good diet, and exercise outside will help regulate. She looks good though, so I wouldn't worry.
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:54 pm

I love the speckles on this BTS! She looks ok to me. We have an Eastern, Enzo, who is enormous all the time. If you saw her, you'd think we were abusing her with food. She's always been huge, and gets the same food portions as everyone else!

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
User avatar
Adalon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:47 pm
Country:
Location: California

Postby Adalon » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:52 pm

Don't Northerns normally look a little extra 'sausagey' naturally? The few I've seen were short and stocky, though I couldn't tell you what they measured.

I posted my Merauke's sizes over the past months in another thread, but he's around 21" and around 400g currently. From what I can tell he looks somewhat normal for the species, though maybe a bit not quite filled out yet since he's still kind of young. I don't know what the baseline for a Northern would be, but I'm sure the length to weight ratio is much higher.
• 1.0.0 Marauke (Adalon)
• 2.0.0 Western Fence lizard (Cotton, Flax)
• 1.1.0 Tokay Geckos (Cyril, Hypatia)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 356 guests