Vision Cages?
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
-
KidBluey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Ohio
Vision Cages?
I've been having the absolute worst luck finding an enclosure for the BTS I am getting at next month's reptile show. I've looked on craigslist but haven't had any luck. I know some people use a 40 gallon breeder but I just prefer to have a 4'x2' enclosure. I was looking around and came across a site that sells Vision Cages. I am looking into getting the 48"x28"x18" enclosure. Does anyone here use a Vision Cage for their Bluey?
- Jeff
- Vladik Pippery

- Posts: 5684
- Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
- Country:
- Location: Arizona, USA
- Contact:
I have used them, and think they are great. Sometimes they are available at reptile shows for really good prices too. If you check the vendor list for the show you are going to, you might be able to see if someone will be selling them there.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
-
Iceman
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:28 pm
- Country:
I use the Vision 332s for my skinks. I will also be upgrading some of my snakes to the six footers soon. The one thing I would say about them when using them for blueys is to get the extra fluorescent vent. It is (in my opinion) not suitable to put a UV producing linear fluorescent on top of the vent, but it makes attaching a UV bulb inside the cage easier, and provides added ventilation, which I think makes a difference. One other cage you may want to look at are the Showcase brand cages. They are a bit more expensive, but they allow for a longer fluorescent strip and also allow you to remove the heat lamp from the back when stacked, while with the vision cages you have to either have them on a rack or unstack them to change a light bulb.
- blueyman
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 43
- Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:11 am
- Country:
-
Iceman
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 118
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:28 pm
- Country:
In most of the 18" tall cages a 40 watt bulb is perfectly sufficient for providing a proper basking spot. In the V 332s I use a 40 watt bulb shining directly onto the substrate and get a basking spot of 95-105 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on cage placement. If you are really having trouble getting basking temps up with an incandescent, you may want to try a "mini" 50 watt halogen available at your local home improvement or hardware store. Of course you can always build up a slate or tile basking spot closer to the light as well. Overall though, I don't think you should have a problem with the 60 watt limit. Although it would definitely be at your own risk, you could probably also go with a higher wattage bulb, as the new 5.5" ceramic clamp lamps are rated (I think) to 150 watts. I bet that vision is just giving the 60 watt max so that you don't melt the bottom of the cage.
- Rush
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 644
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Rush had a hard time adapting to the vision I bought about six months ago. It was the 6'x something and had an extra large vent for uvb and 2 6'' spot lamps. Firstly, I had a hard time keeping the cage warm enough during night and day. The vent would only hold 6'' spotters that would not provide enough heat for a solid surface temp for Rush to bask on. Secondly, the only opening on the cage is through the front glass doors; the other three sides are solid and not see-through. Rush went bazurk because he had been used to his glass for two years and suddenly he was thrown into a new environment with one window view and it seemed like he couldnt adapt...his nose would get pretty raw from all the pacing on the front glass trying to look out sideways to see the environment around him. And thirdly, the cage, with the resources you get with the purchase, wouldn't keep the enclosure bright enough for him during the day. I had a very hard time lighting up the cage through the vent with the small uvb and two 6'' spotlamps. After all was said and done, I purchased a 4'x2' critter keeper with a huge screen top and rush is loving the extra width space and airflow through the screen top.
1.0.0 Merauke BTS, Rush-2009
-Brett-
-Brett-
-
KidBluey
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 55
- Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 am
- Country: USA
- Location: Ohio
- Rush
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 644
- Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 3:24 pm
- Country:
- Location: Portland, Oregon
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 289 guests
