male or female?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

male or female?

Postby reaperreptiles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Alright so I found this guy today on kingsnake, born in 08' but he/she is only 600grams and a little slim. Im thinking male (possibly) what do you guys think???

Image
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Not sure of sex, but I dont think the guy looks skinny. IMO, very healthy weight for this skink. Also, that doesnt look like a pure northern to me.
Brad
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:25 pm

I know but they said she is only 18 inches long. My 1 year old is 21 inches long and weighs 720 grams. My 10 month old is 18 inches and weighs 595 grams. So, to me, a 3 year old thats only 18 inches long is kinda wierd to me. thats all im saying. She said she thinks its a female, but it was a family pet. i asked her why she thought it was a female and im waiting on a response. Im just used to larger northerns, thats all im sayin.
-Cheyenne (thats shy-anne)

0.1 caramel northern(Toblerone/Toby for short)
0.0.1 caramel northern(Mr.Tubbins)
0.0.1 northern (Beetlejuice)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:54 pm

This looks like an IJ to me, or Eastern (I can't ID Eastern -.-'), not a Northern. The tail is especially non-Northern in my eyes. Just IMO, I make no guarantees. My initial gender guess would be male, but that's a total guess, just my first reaction to the picture.

I agree the skink looks very good and healthy. Pretty much what I'd consider a normal IJ, including size and weight.
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:06 am

really?! thats interesting. is it the lack of the dark side markings? The tail now look very IJ to me, the front limbs are still gray though??? can IJ have these traits as well?
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:40 am

I can't guess on the gender because of the angle of the picture, and how the skink is bent in the picture, but if I was forced to make an ID, I would say northern x Irian Jaya. It seems to clearly display traits of both to me. I am not an ID expert though.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:12 am

reaperreptiles wrote:I know but they said she is only 18 inches long. My 1 year old is 21 inches long and weighs 720 grams. My 10 month old is 18 inches and weighs 595 grams. So, to me, a 3 year old thats only 18 inches long is kinda wierd to me. thats all im saying. She said she thinks its a female, but it was a family pet. i asked her why she thought it was a female and im waiting on a response. Im just used to larger northerns, thats all im sayin.


A 3 year old that is 18 inches long is not unusual at all - it just depends on individual as well as species. I have a 4 year old Northern male and a 4 year old Merauke male that are each about 19", much shorter in length than the others. Their overall condition is great, they certainly aren't skinny and were always offered as much food as the others - they just are shorter.
User avatar
Hopeful_Herper
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:08 pm
Country:
Location: Elk Grove, Ca

Postby Hopeful_Herper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 pm

It is probably a hybrid
Also, I'm no expert, butI think you have a male
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.
-Mark Twain
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I would guess male.
I orginally though it was one of the two carmel northerns offered for sale but now I see its not. If you could ask where they received the animal that might help.
My meruake is 2-3yrs old and only is 18 inches.
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 203 guests