Which am I better off buying?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KidBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:43 am
Country: USA
Location: Ohio

Which am I better off buying?

Postby KidBluey » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:04 pm

So I did a little bit of measuring in my room today and I've been looking on craigslist for deals on used aquariums. I'm mostly finding 55 gallon aquariums with stands for up $140. I am having the absolute worst luck finding a 75 gallon though and for the 75 gallons I have found, they are ALWAYS $250 and up o.0.

Which enclosure would be better to buy? A 55 gallon aquarium with a stand which measures 48"Lx13"Dx20"H or a 40 gallon breeder? The 55 gallon offers a greater length but the 40 gallon breeder has a greater depth. I really would like a 48x18 enclosure at the most but those prices are ridiculous and there's no petco in my area so I wouldn't be able to attend the $1 a gallon sale.
User avatar
Spindown
Reptilian Artisan
Reptilian Artisan
Posts: 2680
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 pm
Country:

Postby Spindown » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:59 pm

Personally I have 40 gals for my skinks...I feel that my 55 gal is much too narrow. I want to upgrade to 75 at some point but 40 gals seem to bw the minimum requirement
~Alyy
Spindown Reptiles est. 2013 ------- Facebook.com/SpindownReptiles
Specializing in Kenyan Sand boas and Special Needs animal care.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:23 am

40 gal breeder has a larger foot print than a 55 gal. That is why I hate using gals to determine which tank is larger. You would think a 55gal would be better due to it holding more gals, however, a 40 breeder has 1/2 sq ft more floor space than the 55.
Brad
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:58 am

40 gallon

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 170 guests