For the last two defecations, my POOR SWEET SKINKY'S urate was half yellow and half white. I'm a bit worried, but recently he's been refusing to eat anything. The last time he ate I gave him raspberries and then after a couple of them, when I held them by his face he quickly nudges it with his nose in a way that's like " I've had enough, mom. ".
He's been doing that with any food I offered him until he started shedding. This is his second day of shedding, he refused a peach slice with his little nudge again. Do blue tongues normally refuse to eat when they shed? I know he's going to be exhausted after shedding so I try to offer food as much as possible without bothering him too much. He's been burrowing a lot more deeper and only coming out to bask.
Yellow Urates
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- blackmailchan
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 59
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:16 pm
- Country:
- Location: Over the rainbow
- Contact:
- WanderingChai
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
- Country:
- Location: New York
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
It's very normal for a skink not to eat before and during shed. Make sure they have access to clean water and things to rub against to get the shed off 
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Susann
- ADMIN

- Posts: 4022
- Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
- Country: USA
- Location: Utah
It is totally normal for BTS to not eat for a period before, during, and even after shedding.
I have been told that yellow or even orange urates can be a sign of higher toxins in the system (kidneys collecting it, coloring the urates), but since you say that HALF the urate has been yellow, I suspect it is the part of the urate that is in contact with the fecal matter while inside; I have seen this before. If you are able to watch him "go", I bet this is what you would see.
Nothing wrong with having a vet do a blood culture, to be sure, but from the signs you are describing I wouldn't at this point call it necessary.
I have been told that yellow or even orange urates can be a sign of higher toxins in the system (kidneys collecting it, coloring the urates), but since you say that HALF the urate has been yellow, I suspect it is the part of the urate that is in contact with the fecal matter while inside; I have seen this before. If you are able to watch him "go", I bet this is what you would see.
Nothing wrong with having a vet do a blood culture, to be sure, but from the signs you are describing I wouldn't at this point call it necessary.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
- SapphireTigress1
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 132
- Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
- Country:
- Location: Tacoma, Washington USA
i am unable to notice the color changes that skinks go through prior to shed (although my partially color blind bf can - go figure) but I can normally tell when shed is imminent because they eat less.
partially yellow urates IMO are not really that concerning. Mine do it occasionally. I have yet to do a fecal on them, but they all seem to be in great health. I wouldn't be too concerned unless the skink starts acting in a manner that is NOT consistent with shedding or other silly skink behavior
I also agree with Susan in that it is probably the urates coming into contact with the poo. I have seen them poo (i was trying to see hemipenes lol) and the times that it was partially yellow that was the reason.
partially yellow urates IMO are not really that concerning. Mine do it occasionally. I have yet to do a fecal on them, but they all seem to be in great health. I wouldn't be too concerned unless the skink starts acting in a manner that is NOT consistent with shedding or other silly skink behavior
I also agree with Susan in that it is probably the urates coming into contact with the poo. I have seen them poo (i was trying to see hemipenes lol) and the times that it was partially yellow that was the reason.
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
- Katrina
- The Daredevil

- Posts: 9769
- Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
- Country:
- Location: Alberta, Canada
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 351 guests

But it is normal, make sure there is fresh water etc.