High Humidity

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

High Humidity

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:44 am

Ok, now I am having an issue with humidity in the tank :? The humidity is at 70% . I have shaved aspen in the tank for bedding. We live in central NY and Humidity is awful right now, but it could be like this most of the summer. I know the rest of the year won't be as big a problem, in fact the winters can be very dry. Is this a huge issue, or not?
User avatar
Roheryn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:04 pm
Country:
Location: Netherlands

Postby Roheryn » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 am

Aspen is very very dry. Maybe you should consider something else for bedding? I'm using repti-bark at the moment, but there are lots of other posibilities.
each day's a gift, not a given right.
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:34 am

Unless you're planning on getting a Centralian (and if you are let me know so I can break into your house and steal it!), I wouldn't worry too much about the humidity. If you get an indonesian species its spot on, not positive about Northerns but I'm fairly sure 70% humidity won't bother them either. I've got the Easterns & the IJ on an Aspen/Cypress mulch mix. The humidity is what it is, none of them need a high humidity so I don't really pay much attention to their humidity levels. Everyone sheds easily and no dry tummy scales (which you will likely run into keeping yours on Aspen) to me means whatever the humidity is at, its fine.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:39 am

Roheryn wrote:Aspen is very very dry. Maybe you should consider something else for bedding? I'm using repti-bark at the moment, but there are lots of other posibilities.



This was why I chose the Aspen for now (summer), since I know our humidity is high in the summer. I thought the aspen would help. In the winter when it is dryer here I figured I would switch to repti-bark or cypress mulch.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm

What Ali said. :nod:
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:22 pm

We are getting a Northern baby (1 month) from Tula-Girl on this forum. I know the humidity won't always be this high, we just have humid summers here. In the winter I am sure I will be needing to increase the humidity, but I have a better idea how to do that. Lowering it seems harder.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 pm

StaceyLeigh wrote:We are getting a Northern baby (1 month) from Tula-Girl on this forum. I know the humidity won't always be this high, we just have humid summers here. In the winter I am sure I will be needing to increase the humidity, but I have a better idea how to do that. Lowering it seems harder.


Just wait and see - if you have shed issues, add a humid hide. If you seem to have respiratory issues then you will need to decrease. Chances are pretty good that it will do fine without you worrying either way. They are hardy and most people who keep them probably have no idea what the humidity is! So don't stress too much, just wait and see if you have any cause for concern. I'm fairly certain you won't. :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 298 guests