Basking rock Temp?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Basking rock Temp?

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue May 31, 2011 10:13 am

Ok we have our tank up and are trying to check temps. Cool side is staying in the range of 70 -80. The basking rock I'm a little confused about. The thermometer we placed on the basking rock is reading 95-100, but when you touch the rock, it feels only luke warm :shock: We have a Halogen 45 wt. spot for the heat light. Just not sure this is ok. The skink would feel heat from the top, but not really on the belly? Why woundn't the rock be warmer ?:o
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue May 31, 2011 11:04 am

The more reading I do, the more I think the rock is the problem. It is about 3" thick and a little bumpy, maybe I need something thinner and flater? I have a flat piece of concrete which I think might work. I was also thinking of trying to find a tile at home depo. Will a granite tile work?
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue May 31, 2011 11:54 am

Ok, still need help, tried the flatter concrete rock, still doesn't feel very hot, warm, but not hot? What am I missing? The thermometer sitting on the rock is reading between 95-100.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm

The rock won't feel hot to the touch - just warm.

You want the surface temperature of the rock to be about 95-100F. The best way to measure surface temp is with a temperature gun - a point and shoot kind of thing that gives you a digital reading. It is actually reading the temperature of the rock surface, not the ambient air temp. But it won't feel hot - you would be able to hold your hand there without having to pull it away.

The rock doesn't have to be smooth, a certain thickness or anything special - just something that will hold heat and that the skink can lay on to warm their belly. Don't worry too much, it sounds like you're fine. But do look into a temp gun to be sure - pet store ones are overpriced, you can get cheaper ones at hardware type stores. :D
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Tue May 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Ok, My husband was going to bring a temp gun home from work tonight so I will check the temp with that. Thanks!
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:16 am

Checked the rock temp last night with a digital/probe type thermometer, supposedly accurate to .2 degrees, and the rock was 97, so I think we are good. We are expecting our new bluey next week, so I am trying to make sure everything is perfect. I am driving myself a little nuts (and my family too, I'm sure) My son made up a care sheet (what needs to be done daily/weekly/monthly) for his room yesterday, and posted it near the tank. I think we are ready, I hope!
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:18 am

If you admit to being a paranoid perfectionist about his set up :wink: then I'm sure you are ready! Sounds like your son is ready too!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 pm

StaceyLeigh wrote:Checked the rock temp last night with a digital/probe type thermometer, supposedly accurate to .2 degrees, and the rock was 97, so I think we are good. We are expecting our new bluey next week, so I am trying to make sure everything is perfect. I am driving myself a little nuts (and my family too, I'm sure) My son made up a care sheet (what needs to be done daily/weekly/monthly) for his room yesterday, and posted it near the tank. I think we are ready, I hope!


You guys will do great! :D
User avatar
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love
Posts: 1576
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 4:24 pm
Country: USA
Location: CNY
Contact:

Postby StaceyLeigh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:18 pm

Thanks, we are very excited. My son could have this pet for many years, I want to help him give his bluey a good start!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 313 guests