New BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
skinkkid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:57 pm
Country:
Location: Ny

New BTS

Postby skinkkid » Thu May 26, 2011 8:00 pm

I just got this guy a few days ago its my first bts(CAPTIVE BREED). Anyone with a bts pics or advice would be great. How can I sex him or her. he or she is in a 20gal long while I set up his new setup.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Thu May 26, 2011 8:12 pm

Welcome!

First of all, study the caresheet. Then get his/her tank ready ASAP! A full-grown skink should only be in a 20 gallon for emergency reasons(personal opinion). He/she cannot be sexed easily. Unless you see a sperm plug or do a DNA test, it's impossible to figure out. The caresheet explains it in much more detail. Very cute skink you got there!
Note: I've only had my little girl(?) for a few months, I am definitely not an expert. The more experienced skink keepers on here will be able to help you more, I believe.
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Thu May 26, 2011 8:13 pm

Also, I believe you have a northern. Of course I could be completely wrong. :)
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
skinkkid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:57 pm
Country:
Location: Ny

Postby skinkkid » Thu May 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks I have done quite a bit of research and I already have the new enclosure it will be ready by the weekend. I classified as a northern to
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Thu May 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Northern, I'm sure!

I love this little one's face... pretty shape. =)
- Meagan
Image
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:17 pm

wow its lovely! I love the colors on him/her :)
yeah, i'd work on getting that other setup ready ASAP. They (well, mine at least) use all their space.
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)
User avatar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm
Country:
Location: New York

Postby WanderingChai » Fri May 27, 2011 6:01 am

Yay! I guessed right! :D
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Fri May 27, 2011 7:49 am

WanderingChai wrote:Welcome!

First of all, study the caresheet. Then get his/her tank ready ASAP! A full-grown skink should only be in a 20 gallon for emergency reasons(personal opinion). He/she cannot be sexed easily. Unless you see a sperm plug or do a DNA test, it's impossible to figure out. The caresheet explains it in much more detail. Very cute skink you got there!


Um.. what?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
reaperreptiles
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 298
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 1:10 pm
Country:
Location: Hephzibah, GA

Postby reaperreptiles » Fri May 27, 2011 10:17 am

OMG he's beatiful, where/who did you get him from??? Please tell:)
User avatar
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 4022
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:06 pm
Country: USA
Location: Utah

Postby Susann » Fri May 27, 2011 8:10 pm

Alioop wrote:
WanderingChai wrote:Welcome!

First of all, study the caresheet. Then get his/her tank ready ASAP! A full-grown skink should only be in a 20 gallon for emergency reasons(personal opinion). He/she cannot be sexed easily. Unless you see a sperm plug or do a DNA test, it's impossible to figure out. The caresheet explains it in much more detail. Very cute skink you got there!


Um.. what?


Here's what the Bluey Bible says on Chromosomes and DNA:
BTS possess diploid sets of chromosomes with 2 n = 32 chromosomes. Since no heteromorphous sex chromosomes can be found, sex identification based on chromosomal patterns must fail. At least in theory, however, it could be possible that specific cytological research (e.g. by a sex-linked staining of parts of the chromosomes) would be successful.

The possible proof of sex-indicative DNA sequenses could, at least for some reptile taxa, be the method of a reliable sex identification of the future, as has already been realized in the case of birds. One of the problems that is bound to be encountered is the fact that most birds possess sex chromosomes whereas many lizards, including the species of Tiliqua, lack these.


So, in some reptiles it is possible to sex through DNA, but as technology stands today, in Tiliquas it will not work.
Breeder and keeper of Meraukes from 2010 to 2022.
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Postby JoshChimera » Sat May 28, 2011 6:27 pm

From the 2nd picture, I can tell it is a Nothern as well. Congratulations on the new skink!
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
ssr
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 964
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:34 pm
Country:
Location: Iowa

Postby ssr » Sat May 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Congrats! Beautiful skink.
skinkkid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 7:57 pm
Country:
Location: Ny

Postby skinkkid » Sat May 28, 2011 8:28 pm

sorry guys been away for a day. thanks for the feedback. I got him from my local pet shop. I recently feel in love with bts at the last reptile expo I attended. I was thinking about ordering one offline but my local pet shop got one and they have never had them before and only had one. Once the owner told me he was captive breed I decided to give their wonderful species a chance.
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat May 28, 2011 8:41 pm

Looks like a Caramel Northern to me (Northerns bred for lighter color). Very pretty. Congrats on the new addition!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun May 29, 2011 9:18 am

Congrats on the new addition! :D Very cute little guy.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vana and 261 guests