Weird Looking "Female Northern"

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Weird Looking "Female Northern"

Postby Musoke » Wed May 25, 2011 8:42 am

I was looking around on Kijiji and found an ad selling a "female northern blue tongue skink" in Ontario.

...Part zebra?

Image

The tail looks northern, right? But she doesn't look like any other northern I've ever seen. :puzzled:
- Meagan
Image
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Wed May 25, 2011 9:10 am

Northerns don't have strong, distinct banding on their tails - instead, they should be very speckly (sometimes young Northerns are a bit of an exception to this).

Very interesting looking skink. The bits of white along the bands on the back look scincoides , but seeing as this skink is in Ontario I'd be inclined to call it IJ or IJ x something. I'd love to see more pictures (and I'm no expert IDing these guys, that is just my guess!).

Good photo for discussion!
Last edited by Katrina on Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Postby Bird_Brain » Wed May 25, 2011 9:23 am

To me it looks ij
Brad
User avatar
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 847
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm
Country: Canada
Location: Sooke,BC

Postby MissMeg » Wed May 25, 2011 10:28 am

I love Kijiji. You always find something unexpected lol
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Wed May 25, 2011 11:12 am

Not being very good at IDing, take this with a grain of salt but I don't think that is a Northern. I guess an IJ? Maybe?
Cay T.
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Postby Musoke » Wed May 25, 2011 11:30 am

These are the other pictures, there was also one of the tank but you could barely see her in it.

Image

Image
- Meagan

Image
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Wed May 25, 2011 11:48 am

Yup, awesome IJ, very classic IMO. I'm fascinated by the second band, where the background color goes past the outline and into where it would normally be all brown banding. Very neat looking.

Also, obviously I can't be sure, but I'd guess male.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed May 25, 2011 12:37 pm

I would have though IJxnorthern
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Wed May 25, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm with ML, looks like IJ x Northern to me with that striping going on in the bands.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
Ectothermicfauna
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:01 pm
Country: Usa
Contact:

Most definitely

Postby Ectothermicfauna » Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 am

I'll share a story. Rescued a male IJ from a guy that had him in with another male classic northern. Seperated the two, and two months later "he" had 5 babies, all looked just like that. In my experience that is definitely NorthernXIj cross. pretty mongrels though.
User avatar
Musoke
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 pm
Country:
Location: Grassie, Ontario

Re: Most definitely

Postby Musoke » Thu May 26, 2011 7:40 am

Ectothermicfauna wrote:I'll share a story. Rescued a male IJ from a guy that had him in with another male classic northern. Seperated the two, and two months later "he" had 5 babies, all looked just like that. In my experience that is definitely NorthernXIj cross. pretty mongrels though.


That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing!
- Meagan

Image
User avatar
SapphireTigress1
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 pm
Country:
Location: Tacoma, Washington USA

Postby SapphireTigress1 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:20 pm

well, whatever it is, he/she is adorable and verrrry pretty!
iherp!
http://www.iherp.com/SapphireTigress
0.1.2 Blue Tongued Skinks (Creep, New Merauke; Baneling, I.J.; Zergling, Indo)
1.0 Ball python (Boros, Wild type)
2.1 Kenyan Sand Boas (Trickr, Anery het Paradox; Cotton, Albino het Anery; Candy, Albino het Anery)
1.0 Crested Gecko (Harley, Choco/Cream)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 149 guests