Currently super bummed

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
SirGalahaut
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 pm
Country:
Location: Outside NYC

Currently super bummed

Postby SirGalahaut » Wed May 18, 2011 7:49 pm

I just found out today that the apartment in Seattle that I will be moving into doesn't allow reptiles :evil: ... This really really sucks because I was planning on having Yb for a long time. Within in a year of having him it seems like I am going to be forced to get rid of him. I would consider hiding him in the apartment but the landlord will be keeping a bedroom and bathroom to themselves so that they can finish up their PHD stuff when they come back in town. But at least I found out now so I can have a couple of months to find Yb a good home. There is a pet store near here that sells lots of reptiles as a last ditch effort. But my first choice will be on here since I know that on here he would find a good home. I will post him up on the Classifieds. If anybody has any suggestions to my current predicament please let me know.

Hugh
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Wed May 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Does it not allow reptiles specifically? Or does it actually say no pets? While they do say no pets, a lot of apartments will actually allow tanked animals (reptiles, fish, hermit crabs).

Maybe just try to explain to them that Yb is a completely harmless larger lizard? You never know, they may allow him.

Good luck, I do hope you get to keep him!
User avatar
SirGalahaut
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 pm
Country:
Location: Outside NYC

Postby SirGalahaut » Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 pm

My landlord feels really bummed about it as well. But she was on the board and the director of the board for a time. She said it specifically says no reptiles. You are allowed to have small dogs, cats, fish, and birds. But no reptiles, ferrets, hamsters, rabbits or any other non-domesticated pets. I asked her if I could talk to the board and she said that even if the whole community voted to let him be there they would still need to change the bylaws and because of how much that would cost it probably wouldn't happen.

Hugh
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Postby Nae » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

That really does suck =( I am sorry I couldnt be of more help.
User avatar
JoshChimera
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1099
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:50 pm
Country:
Location: the Bay Area CA USA

Postby JoshChimera » Wed May 18, 2011 10:59 pm

You need to find a new place that will not care about your skink moving in with you.
1.0.0 Tanimbar Island Blue Tongue Skink T. scincoides chimaerea Silver Phase
0.1.0 Taiwanese Beauty Rat snake
0.1.0 Variable King snake
1.0.1 Emerald swift (captive born)
1.2.0 Jeweled Eyed Lacerta
1.0.0 Western Hognose snake
Little Wise Owl
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am
Country:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Little Wise Owl » Thu May 19, 2011 8:20 am

Though this won't help you but ferrets and rabbits are domesticated...

That really sucks though. ):
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Thu May 19, 2011 8:45 am

I'm really sorry and I wish I had the space to take him. I'm sure you can find a good home for him by August.
Cay T.
User avatar
robere
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:28 am
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Postby robere » Thu May 19, 2011 9:46 am

I understand a big snake, but a lizard in a cage? What is the reason for this? Do you know?
User avatar
SirGalahaut
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 pm
Country:
Location: Outside NYC

Postby SirGalahaut » Fri May 20, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm not sure the reason. I'm pretty sure its due to the fact that most people don't understand how awesome reptiles can be as pets. They think they are slimy and gross. Thats my guess at least.

Hugh
User avatar
Edward
Carpe diem
Carpe diem
Posts: 1918
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:07 am
Country: U.S.A.
Location: Texas

Postby Edward » Sun May 22, 2011 12:03 pm

Little Wise Owl wrote:Though this won't help you but ferrets and rabbits are domesticated...

Excellent observation.
Not that bylaws are written by sensible, logical, and/or informed people. :|
Nemo me impune lacessit.
User avatar
SirGalahaut
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 pm
Country:
Location: Outside NYC

Postby SirGalahaut » Sun May 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Yeah what sucks is my girlfriend got the idea of possibly getting a couple of hedgehogs as well. But now we won't be able to get those either. But we have the hard problem of trying to find a place to live 3000 miles away. And this person is a current PHD student who is about to graduate and move to California and needs someone to be basically a house sitter/ tenant because she still needs to come back up to defend her dissertation. So to get our feet under us out there its perfect. but it sucks that we can't have the types of pets we want.

Hugh
melanie36d
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:11 pm
Country:
Location: reno, nv

Postby melanie36d » Sun May 22, 2011 4:48 pm

I wouldn't move to a place that won't take my pets. i've been fortunate though to find landlords who don't really care. Maybe if you offered a deposit - $100 or something they would take that? It worked for me at one place I rented that didn't take dogs and I have 3 pitbulls - I offered them $500 and they settled for $200. Can't hurt - sometimes a little money speaks volumes. It's not like the skink makes noise or will tear up the apartment.
1 indo bts
1 red tail boa
1 ball python
1 albino leopard gecko
2 beardies
3 doggies

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 303 guests