First Lock! (Breeding pics, viewer discretion is advised)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

First Lock! (Breeding pics, viewer discretion is advised)

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:59 pm

I can't even say how excited I am. Today is the first time I've ever had skinks mate for me :D All my skinks have always been picky or mean or completely apathetic when it comes to breeding. I was almost ready to give up this year, even with the big cool down I did. But today:

Image
Image
Image
Image

And then tonight again!
Image
Image

The boy is Wasp, and the girl is Fluke. Both are from Andrew Seike, 2008. They're both a couple inches short of my big ones, but very fat and healthy. I actually thought Wasp was a girl, whoops. Awesome surprise for me! Here's to hoping for more locks this year (if my other skinks will oblige) and then to some babies :D
User avatar
Coomassie
The Inked Chemist
The Inked Chemist
Posts: 1826
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm
Country:
Location: Newark, DE

Postby Coomassie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:33 am

Fluke's colors are amazing!!!! Can't wait for babies.
Cay T.
User avatar
Roheryn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 399
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:04 pm
Country:
Location: Netherlands

Postby Roheryn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Amazing pics!! Hope it all works out :D
each day's a gift, not a given right.
User avatar
Jenn
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1742
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 7:23 am
Country:
Location: CT

Postby Jenn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:38 pm

The fancy new cages got the in the mood!
1.0 Northerns Christopher

:blueyprint:
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:50 am

Awesome Melanie! Just keep them going as long as they are willing. I can't believe how far behind your spring is to ours. My northerns all finished breeding 2 months ago. I am looking forward to seeing some northern Eskimos in a few months.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 am

Thanks everyone! I got another lock out of these two tonight. Hoping for a few more. None of my other females are interested just yet, but I've got my fingers crossed. Breeding season is really late here because of the new tanks I had to wait for, so I kept the skinks cooled about a month longer than I'd hoped to. Now I need to dig up my bible to see when I should be ready for babies. One step at a time I guess.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:31 am

100-110 days from the first copulation till birth. :ohyes:
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:28 am

Awesome, thanks Jeff. I was pretty sure it was around that, but I haven't read much besides breeding tips in quite a while. You're awesome!
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:43 pm

:woo: Congrats Mel!!

Love the dark colors on them, they are gorgeous!!
User avatar
Pesky Fly
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:42 pm
Country:
Location: Kentucky

Postby Pesky Fly » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:51 pm

YAY!!!
0.0.3 Cuora flavomarginata (Ting-Ting, Mei, Su)
2.1.0 ? Sideneck (Zeppo, Harpo, Groucho)
0.0.1 Trachemys scripta elegans (Asphalt)
1.0.0 Geochelone carbonaria (Red)

1.1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens (Wardisimo, Buggaroho)
0.1.0 Tiliqua gigas (Gumbosapien)

1.1 Hemisphaeriodon Gerrardii (Forthorn, Brewencia)
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:53 pm

As an update, Fluke is no longer interested in Wasp (they mated 3x total). Wasp also mated with Evita once and Trouble once. None of my other males seem interested in doing the deed -.-'

On a similar note, Hank, the Northern I have on breeding loan here, hasn't picked a gender/sexuality. Reminds me of Zach's Eugene. Not interested in girls, but tries to mount other boys, who also seem interested in trying to mate with him/her. To say I'm confused with this one is an understatement :lol:

Also, my 4 Tanimbars finally came out of brumation today, so hopefully I'll get some action from them in the next couple of weeks.
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Postby Jeff » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets confused by some of the behavior I see. It honestly can be ridiculous at times. The good news is that eventually they will make it very clear which gender they are. That is a really great feeling when you finally know for sure what gender a skink is!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm think I'm done pairing for today, they're starting to get really grumpy. And apparently during Trouble's lock with Wasp this morning, he must have caught her foot, because she's got a little injury right on the pad. I'm lucky in that Wasp is pretty gentle and smart, he doesn't usually bite hard enough to cause injuries, and when he does grab somewhere he shouldn't, he lets go right away to try again.

One thing I'm noticing is that a tail-wiggle is actually a bad sign for me. Whenever the girl wiggles her tail, it's accompanied by a head-high, direct-eye-contact stance, and the boys won't touch her. The tail-wiggle seems to be a submissive gesture (I've seen it before outside of mating times), but the head-on-stare is definitely saying "leave me alone". Generally the male turns away, and they just ignore each other. If the male continues trying, he gets a bite.

I'm really amazed at the amount of body-language they're using to communicate, in addition to the pheromones I image must be present.
User avatar
Alioop
Loopy De Loop
Loopy De Loop
Posts: 2648
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 pm
Country:
Location: Buffalo, NY

Postby Alioop » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:10 am

Very exciting Mel!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-Alie-

1.0 Irian Jaya
1.1 Easterns
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:13 am

Can I have a baby...
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Luke
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 536
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 pm
Country:
Location: Illinois

Postby Luke » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:27 pm

thats really cool fatal s. i hope you have some good luck with your babies. it is good to see someone that has the patients it requires to breed animals i bred my ball pythons once and i think i will just leave it up to the others for that one too much work!
"those that dare to venture expirience the greatest rewards" -unknown
"P.E.T.A People Eating Tasty Animals"
"and when he gets to heaven, to saint peter he will tell, "another soldier reporting sir, ive served my time in hell." PFC Cameron USMC
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Very dark good for a meleninisc project
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Wed May 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Any more breedings?
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 236 guests