Oscar Rose prego pics

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Oscar Rose prego pics

Postby dsteamn » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd give you guys an update and post up a few pics of Oscar Rose. We bred her with Stubbs (my almost dead rescue I got a couple of years ago) to see if he would even be capable of the task. Looking from the pics, I'm thinking he is. We put them together six times between 2/8 and 2/15. They connected three of them, the last one being on 2/14 (how appropriate :love: ).

Image
Image
Image

Today is the first time I have handled her in about a week. When I was putting some stuff in her cage, she came over and crawled up on to my hand, so I brought her out and snapped the pics.

While she was out, she expelled what looked like a calcium deposit, but it was larger and two toned yellowish and white. The yellow part was grainy - almost like pieces of sand crunching together. It was not solid like a normal deposit. The white was more soft except for the very outer part which was kind of hard. Could this have been an unformed egg? I wish I had taken a pic of it to post.

She has barely had any apetite since she came out of brumation, which has really surprised me, and wants more meat than veggies or fruit. She sat in her water bowl for 22 hours straight yesterday and had the hardest shed I've ever seen any of them ever have. That happened this afternoon. I saw her right before it all came off and it looked like her skin had been hit with a blow torch and was sheething off. She has been staying in the warm side of the cage for about two weeks straight now so I'm thinking she should be getting ready to go soon.

Any last words of wisdom for this new venture in our lives?
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun May 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Congrats!! She looks gorgeous!

I can't give advice regarding the gravid questions except that it has only been about 75 days since they copulated, so I'd imagine you have another ~ 25 to go.

The urates that you are describing sound like something completely normal, she is just a bit dehydrated. I can't remember what the yellow is right now, but it sounds like urates definitely not an egg.
User avatar
dsteamn
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:48 pm
Country:
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Postby dsteamn » Sun May 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Thanks Katrina. I usually am not such a paranoid Mom but it this is all such a new venture and I want to make sure I'm doing things right. The plug was just so much larger and more round in shape than anything I had seen before. It was about the size of a nickel so I thought it might have been something else. I appreciate the input.

Three more weeks, huh? Wow, she's not gonna be able to move by then. They sure do take their time with this stuff! She's already breathing across her back through the top of her diaphram with her mouth slit open at times. The least bit of exercise puts her flat down on her belly. She looks so funny when she rests. Her front feet go straight back by her sides and her back legs look like she's doing the splits - 90 degrees from her body. Most of the time she just doesn't want to be bothered, so I have been leaving her alone to rest.

I'll be sure to post more pics later.
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun May 01, 2011 5:38 pm

I know exactly where you are coming from! I have a likely gravid lady who is about a month behind Oscar Rose, so I'm also unusually concerned (since she is my first potential mom). :D

Hopefully others with experience with this stuff will add more than I can. I know it varies but Northerns typically have about 100 day gestation period.
User avatar
xxmonitorlizardxx
Walks with Squirrels
Walks with Squirrels
Posts: 4050
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm
Your Facebook name: Jeremy Johnson
Country:
Location: NJ, USA

Postby xxmonitorlizardxx » Sun May 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Katrina wrote:I know exactly where you are coming from! I have a likely gravid lady who is about a month behind Oscar Rose, so I'm also unusually concerned (since she is my first potential mom). :D

Hopefully others with experience with this stuff will add more than I can. I know it varies but Northerns typically have about 100 day gestation period.
Who
Merauke Blue Tongue Skink Breeder
https://www.facebook.com/JJReptiles/
User avatar
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil
Posts: 9769
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:34 pm
Country:
Location: Alberta, Canada

Postby Katrina » Sun May 01, 2011 6:50 pm

ML - are you asking who is potentially gravod? Callie is - very lovely Northern.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 260 guests