Stuck shed on emerald tree skink tail

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
aronoiiel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Stuck shed on emerald tree skink tail

Postby aronoiiel » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Hello! I am a week into owning a captive bred 1yr old emerald tree skink. He is fairly skittiah still being new and arrived going into shed. Yesterday he got most of it off save for a bit on his tail tip. His humidity is proper at 80% and his temps good at basking 95 and ambient 80 cool side 78.

My question since they drop their tails how would it be best to assist that shed off his tip? And since he is still very flighty is there any harm in just snagging him gently and giving him a soak of some kind? I havent had a small nervous type thst can drop tails so I am bit at a loss but I dont want the tail damaged from the shed.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Stuck shed on emerald tree skink tail

Postby splashy07 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:06 am

Where on earth did you find a captive bred ETS? Wow, congratulations! They are beautiful and very entertaining little lizards. I would just mist him lightly a few times a day until it works itself off. No sense traumatizing the little guy if he is flighty.
aronoiiel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Stuck shed on emerald tree skink tail

Postby aronoiiel » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:15 pm

Tha k you so much! It was a long search to be honest I got a bit lucky. A fellow herper saw two posted on ill exotics (a mostly plant focused shop with some repiltiles with a massive emphasis on csptive bred and proper bioactive enclosures) page and I asked them about him. They have a breeding group and had two males available. One went super fast so I snatched this guy up! He is a healthy happy little green bean (missing a few toes on one foot though from I am assuming a territory dispute)

I really appreciate the advice stuck shed scares me so much especially with tails and toes! I noticed today its less than it was so this is helping alot! I have increased his mistings (which he doesnt care for lol). I hope it comes off the rest of the way soon. Appreciate your advice ^_^

Return to “Other Skink Species”