New red eyed crocodile skink owner

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
hhurley79
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New red eyed crocodile skink owner

Postby hhurley79 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am

Hello! I am the new owner of a red eyed crocodile skunk and I got her from a breeder. I am just looking for some care information because the information I got from the breeder varies significantly different from what I’m reading online. For example, he told me to feed her 3 crickets twice a week, so 6 crickets total per week. He also told me she doesn’t need heat or UVB light but I have to keep her tank humid. When I asked him how humid he said around 60-80%. I’m just looking for some more precise information because I want her to be as comfortable and happy as possible. He told me to cover the top of her tank (screen) with Saran Wrap to keep the humidity in and to spray her tank once daily. If anyone has any more information regarding lighting, feeding, humidity, tank temp, and any other helpful information I would greatly appreciate the guidance. Thank you all in advance.
Nellie Souder
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New red eyed crocodile skink owner

Postby Nellie Souder » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi. I was just wondering where you got your skink and if he is captive bred? I have been looking for some time and can only find imports. I'm located in Laurel Maryland btw.

I don't have any experience with croc skinks but my understanding is that they like very high humidity, and temps around 75F.

I'm not sure about feeding but depending on the age and size of the animal just 6 crickets a week seems like very little, especially for an animal that is an insectivore. With young animals the rule of thumb is they get to eat as much as they want every day, and as they age you decrease feedings. And just from my experience with other lizards and skinks, I would definitely feed a vast variety of insects, not just crickets.

My understanding is they do not need UVB as they are nocturnal and as long as they are supplemented properly there shouldn't be a problem.

And again this is all I know from research, so take it with qb grain of salt.

Return to “Other Skink Species”