Schneider's skinks!

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
Grimli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Schneider's skinks!

Postby Grimli » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:11 pm

So. For the past few months, I had been gearing up to get myself a Bluey. As it so happens, I came across an ad for a pair of Schneider's needing to be rehomed less than 30 minutes from my house!

Obviously I jumped and went to pick up the two little pumpkins. One came to me in rather rough shape, and after a vet visit (that would have cost more than 3x as much as she did if the clinic hadn't decided to cover her Xrays :blowkisses:) we found she had mild MBD (expected) and her kinked tail actually had a break.

Well, the two have come pretty far already! Both are eating wonderfully <3 I didn't even know of their species' existence up until I saw the ad for them, and I can say right now I am in LOVE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Schneider's skinks!

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:16 pm

Awesome personable little guys. I can’t open the cage without mine running up my arm.
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Manny » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:32 am

Ran across Splashy's old post on these schneider skinks before I saw your post. Being a nosey type of feller. I asked her about them and have to say they do sound like amazing creatures. I started doing research on them and have to say 100% of the folks who have them are absolutely in love with them. The care sounds fairly straight forward. I'm starting to think if there were more captive bred there is potential for these skinks to explode onto the reptile scene, right from long time enthusiast to novice keeper.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:56 am

Very unfortunate that more people are not working with them, more than likely because they are a 20 dollar wholesale item as imports. I was all set to try until my female suddenly passed. In my 40+ years of reptile keeping, I have rarely seen a lizard as personable as this right out of the wild. Absolutely no acclimation period necessary.
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Manny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:47 am

I was somewhat shocked when I saw the price on these fellows. The range I've seen so far is roughly $20 - 50 USD. The literature on them is a bit confused though. Some I know is a mix up with the Berber skink (algierensis),hope I spelled that right. Not sure if any of the other sub species are adding to some of the confusion. I am actively trying to find some breeders at this point as I have more questionss. :) I am potentially looking at this species, if my plans for a BTS and/or PTS fall through. I see it as an opportunity to give back to the community if I am able to breed them. Them being a personable and active lizard is just icing on the cake.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:06 am

True Berber skinks are all but non existant here in the US. I've seen them one time in person at my friend's shop. They are larger and not at all as personable as their cousins, the Schnieder's. Many times Schneider's are labelled as Berber's which is incorrect. A true Berber's would more than likely cost you more than an BTS.
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Manny » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:34 am

I read about the True Berbers not being as personable as the Schneiders. The price I saw listed was roughly $300 USD. I believe that quote was several years old. I suspect with their primary country of Exportation shutting down exports. The price has probably doubled or tripled. There seem to be some floating around in Europe and I believe TC Houston has some in the states. I have no interest in the true berbers at this point.

A lot of my interest in the Schneiders, is that they are personable, what I have read/learned on husbandry seems straight forward and easy to learn. they adjust their routine dependant on the enviroment (light/heat) going from diurnal to crepuscular. They are a nice looking skink. If the interest in breeding these goes up. I could easily see them as being a recommended for new reptile owners. I also know that even if this is the route I take. I wouldn't make an impact on WC vs CB for them. It would take several well established reputable breeders to get the ball rolling. As well getting the word out there about them.

It is definitely a potential option for me. Ugh my enclosure has been delayed again, almost 4 months since I ordered it. Sounds like some of their supply chain has been disrupted due to Covid. So understandable. Weather is getting too unpredictable now for shipping reptiles anyways, at least to here.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:20 am

If you are still looking for Schneider's I heard Ron Peteroy has them on FC
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Manny » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:06 pm

Thank you appreciate the info.
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Manny » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:42 am

For anyone interested in working with Schneider Skinks. Apparently allreptiles.ca , just got a confirmed pair in.
Grimli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Grimli » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm happy to see so much interest in them. Such amazing little buggers. With university being online I've set my desk up near their enclosure and sure enough every day I'll hear skittering and see one or the other scraping up the side of the terrarium. When they aren't being overly active usually I can sit one on my shoulder while I work. They especially seem to love the warmth from my laptop lol.

I have yet to see any more come up in my area, but from my constant ramblings of how much I love these guys, hopefully I'll convince someone in town to start a project with Schneider's haha.

20201018_134259.jpg

20201018_134245.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Manny
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Manny » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:58 pm

When I just recently joined this forum, I had never heard of them. Ran across an old post by Splashy and the way she described them caught my interest. So I did the research and I have read nothing but good things about them from folks that own them and the care sounds sounds quite straight forward. It makes me think that if more of these were captive bred, they would give beardies and leopard geckos a run for their money as most popular lizard for folks new to the hobby.

I was actually surprized when allreptiles let me know that confirmed pair had arrived. They had remembered my email from about 3 weeks ago, asking if they ever got any sexed Schneiders in. I was also a bit depressed when they let me know. I would have liked to get those two, just can't do it right at this moment.
Owenb1234
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Owenb1234 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:37 pm

So cute!!!!

Return to “Other Skink Species”