Pink tongue skink group?

Feel free to post pictures, information, articles or anything else related to other skink species.
Forum rules
Topics may be anything to do with other skink species, keeping within the forum rules. Topics related to other lizard species, apart from skinks, are not permitted, but these can still be posted on the general off topic forum.
wavingsnail
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Pink tongue skink group?

Postby wavingsnail » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:38 pm

In your experience(s), how do groups or pairs of adult PTS fair? We have a large enclosure (48"L x 18"D x 48"H) that will be bioactive and heavily planted, plus have multiple cork bark hollows throughout.

Our original plan was to buy two. or three young PTS from separate breeders, but now now I'm getting conflicted info.

From some sources and breeders I've been told they are more similar to their cousins from the Solomon Islands rather than BTS, as they seem to live in social groups in the wild, and while the social hierarchy doesn't seem to be as involved as the monkey tailed skinks, it definitely exists.

Others have said they're like ackies, in that as long as they are reared together, they will coexist peacefully as adults, despite gender. According to them, it is the introduction of two "stranger" adults that leads to conflict, not the actual gender.

And then, of course, I hear, "no. A skink is a skink, they are solitary and very aggressive towards one another, house separately."

What are your thoughts and/or experiences? I would like to think that an enclosure of our size is large enough for a pair to peacefully coexist in that each animal could establish it's own territories and safely retreat from the other if need be, but as we all know, information on these guys is scarce and not exactly straight across the board.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Return to “Other Skink Species”