Skinks eyes sealed(?) shut in morning, no crust.

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Gatorgnash
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skinks eyes sealed(?) shut in morning, no crust.

Postby Gatorgnash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:48 am

Hello, first time posting here. Actually, second time, this time I actually own a skink!

Anyways, for the past two days now I have noticed that in the morning, my skinks eyes will not open. I see him (I just say him) trying to blink, even though his eyes are closed. Only way to get them to open is when I wipe down his face with a warm wet towel or wet cotton balls. I don't notice any crust around his eyes. This morning I did hear some clicky breathing, but he's not doing it anymore.

I will gladly take him to the vet, I just want to know if I should wait longer to see if it doesn't get better or what. I'm not sure what I really can do! I'm a

His eyes are very squinty now after wiping him down. They're open, but squinty. :noknow:

He's a northern, on orchid bark, humidity is around 50%, going down to around 45% now that the weather is changing here. Basking spot is 95F, cold side around 75F. He's also almost 3 months old, born on June 29th.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Skinks eyes sealed(?) shut in morning, no crust.

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:58 am

Gently bath them with clean warm water …. using a cotton bud or strip of water saturated paper toweling, no pressure on the eyelids or eyes …. very delicate.

Could then apply a drop of 1/2 strength manuka honey to each eye a few times a day , bathing between .

If this bacterial or viral conjunctivitis it's HIGHLY infectious and easily transmitted on your fingers to other reptiles you contact with. If this doesn't clear up in a few days, I strongly suggest taking your skink to a good REPTILE vet as a more potent medicated eyedrop will be needed.
If this is due to the UV lightsource it's called photoconjuctivitis and can only be stop by moving to a better UV light source.
Gatorgnash
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Gatorgnash » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:09 am

kingofnobbys wrote:If this is due to the UV lightsource it's called photoconjuctivitis and can only be stop by moving to a better UV light source.

What's a UV bulb you'd recommend?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:43 am

Gatorgnash wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:If this is due to the UV lightsource it's called photoconjuctivitis and can only be stop by moving to a better UV light source.

What's a UV bulb you'd recommend?

This is not one size fits all , your UV needs to be chosen to suit the species of skink you have, and the light set up you have for your tank.

If a compact , only good ones are Zoo Med, Exo Terra and Arcadia Reptile.
If a T8 tube , Zoo Med, Exo Terra and Arcadia Reptile.
If a T5HO tube , Arcadia Reptile ONLY , there is an issue lately with Zoo Med T5HO tube - phosphor life is poor after a change in their manufacturing.

The ones to avoid are listed here , as is a guide on how to set up the lighting ( only difference is we are speaking BTs here and most avail in your country require tropical strength UVA & UVB , so aim for at least 10% UVB and about 180-200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot ) : https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=235611

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”