Breeding without brumation?

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Breeding without brumation?

Postby Dakota » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Is it possible to breed without brumation?

I talked to some breeders in Indonesia, and they say brumating is not a "have to do thing", when it comes to the Irian Jayas, Meraukes, and Indonesians.

Is this true?
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Re: Breeding without brumation?

Postby Jeff » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:39 pm

Many equatorial animals live in places that have very constant temperatures year round. There is no "cool" season where they live. Obviously, those animals do not require cooling in order to breed.

The general consensus is that the wet vs. dry season probably plays a role in cycling these skinks for breeding, but it could be another factor altogether. It is also possible that these species can breed successfully more less anytime of the year. With that being said, it seems that most people who have had repeated success breeding the species from Indonesia have done so by cooling them similar to some of the Australian species.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:52 am

Also if they pick up on outdoor cues they can breed,for example i dont cool my northerns,they only get day heat year round,same spotlight warms them,but natural cooling over winter especially overnite temp but back ground temp to is enough for them to cycle

Some of my temperate species start brumation even with hot basking still available,they just curl up down cool end,so i then shut them down after a month or so of that
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 am

I didn't brumate this year, and all the skinks I've paired were awake all winter, and so far I've had 2 northern-pairs lock and an IJ-pair lock. No guarantee it will work though of course.

Oddly (to me) the northern females were very aggressive last year (when I actually brumated them) but were totally into it this year. Hopefully that means they're in cycle.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Sounds promising mel
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Nice to know the females were totally into it this year ;-)
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”