My bluetongue lizard had one stillborn baby

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Azule
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My bluetongue lizard had one stillborn baby

Postby Azule » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi,
My bluetongue hard 1 stillborn last night and I found it this morning. She is young a little over 4 and the male is 3 do you think she will have any more and is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again. Also is it ok for her to have had one baby or would it mean she is sick is some way ( both parents look healthy )
Thanks
donkeybuff
Coffee Connoisseur
Coffee Connoisseur

Re: My bluetongue lizard had one stillborn baby

Postby donkeybuff » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Stillbon babies, as I understand them, are not preventable. Some babies are just too weak to make it. As for her litter size, it depends on the type of skinks. Northerns can have more than 15 babies, while shinglebacks usually have 1 or 2.
Sachin
1.0 Indonesian
1.0 Northern
Azule
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Azule » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 pm

The parents are both easterns and she has had one more stillborn
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:05 pm

All you can do to minimize the chance of still born is to make sure your husbandry is correct during the pregnancy. If it is, still born babies are fairly uncommon. They will occur sometimes even when everything is perfect though, same as with any species.

A couple years ago, I had a female give birth to 2 still born babies that shared one yolk sac along with an un-fertilized ova. She seemed fine, and I thought she was done. I think it was 2 weeks later (would need to look it up) that she gave birth to 5 perfectly healthy babies. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that this is a very rare situation, but I would continue to treat your female as though she is gravid for the time being just in case.

The ages of your skinks is not a factor. They should be fully mature well before those ages.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Azule
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Azule » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 pm

Ok thanks
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:48 pm

Having stillborns and unfertile ova can prolong the birthing process,still could get some healthy bubs,just watch the female,usually they show signs if theres more to come

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”