gestation periods

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Re: gestation periods

Postby Dakota » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:49 pm

Richard.C wrote:Are u talking about mark prince

Yes, with his indoor animals.

I read somewhere where you offered 24/7 to some of your skinks — do you notice a difference in gestation in those compared to the ones that don't have constant access to heat?
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:27 pm

Dakota he breeds outdoors

The indoors ones with short gestations were me,way down south where the climates freezing compared to cairns

Mine mated close to two months later than his and dropped babies roughly a month earlier
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:30 pm

And yes i had a 24 hour hot spot,but rest of cage very cool,the ones that dropped early used that hot spot often
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:05 pm

Richard.C wrote:And yes i had a 24 hour hot spot,but rest of cage very cool,the ones that dropped early used that hot spot often

This is what I did with Virginia — hence what I was insinuating. But since I did not figure Xaunder was gravid until just a month or two ago, I didn't give her a constant heat source. Maybe why she hasn't dropped yet, if she is going to. Didn't want to make any claims until Xaunder dropped, though.

It'd be interesting to document wild Tiliqua gigas gestation periods and compare to their captive counterparts.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 pm

One thing u dont want to do is keep them to hit in that process,to hot often affects babies

Especially with cold adapted species like blotchies,which is probs why alot of out of aus folk get alot of deformities

Whilst i had constant hot basking spots,higher than your average,i aslo have colder temps alot cooler then your aveage to

In short i give them choices

Outdoors and wild they have variable conditions to deal with which often prolongs gestations

Hopefully soon i can show some more gestation variables
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Xaunder x Hunter (Meraukes)
First mating: August 30, 2015
Last mating: October 14, 2015
5 long matings, 5 matings overall
Birth: March 17, 2016
Gestation from first mating: 200 days
Gestation from last mating: 155 days
2 babies total; one born with a twisted back
No ovulation was witnessed

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”