Serious Skin infection

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Serious Skin infection

Postby Bluish » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:18 am

My female Merauke developed this infection a couple of days before shedding.
Where it is cloudy there is some milky fluid underneath. I removed a couple of milky scales and the underlying scales are looking pretty rough. Should I leave the skin on or soak her in saline or betadine to remove it. I can't get to a vet for a couple of days and would like to do something now.
Her terrarium wasn't very humid and is kept clean so I'm a little mystified. It is completely dry now with a change of substrate
She is a recent import and had some scarring on her back which may be a contributing factor.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Re: Serious Skin infection

Postby Linnea » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm

a couple of days before shedding they go milky coloured as they prepare for the old skin to come off by utilizing a milky fluid that separates new and old scale layers, that shouldnt come out.

you should not peel it off imo.

is this picture taking after her shedding process has been left alone for 2 days?

meruakes should have it more humid, correct me if im not wrong.

any bleeding, open wounds, yellow pus?

are you certain she had scarring and not just stuck shed?
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:07 pm

This picture was taken the day after shedding. There is no pus but under the discolored scales there is a milky fluid. I'm not sure if the fluid is the skinks immune response and it dealing with the problem or whether it is infection. If it is her healing response I'd like to leave it alone, if it is infection I'd prefer to remove it and cover with betadine similar protective compound.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:13 pm

Looks like infection,i wouldnt pick at it,but maybe try betadeine it ,until u get to a vet

Often imports are tethered by collectors,housed in pens with many other animals overcriwded,thats before being imported,so could be an artifact of that,she looks in great shape otherwise,nice looking specimen
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:35 pm

Do you mean dabbing her with betadine or giving her a soak.
I've read that chlorhexidine can be used topically.
I'm just trying to figure out if she is better of with the shed left on or soaked off with a betadine or saline solution.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Yiu coukd try soaking to remove shed,sorry i thought it had fully shed,if it doesnt come off easy id be more inclined to leave it for now and try applying an anti bacterial to affected areas after a soak,until i got to vets,if its infected

Is it inflamed?raised scales ect,almost looks like retained shed in pic,sometimes they have issues getting it off there backs,especialky in dry conditions with out options to rub back area on cage props to help remove it
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Sue Bee

Postby Susann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 am

In that picture I don't see anything unusual. I see the gray SHED that is still there. If you put her in a tub with an inch of lukewarm water, and wipe her with a wet washcloth, that will all just slide right off.
The slick, milky substance is just part of the normal shedding process; it dries right up when the old shed comes off. If the old shed doesn't come off, the milky substance dries and "cements" the old scales to the new, and will not come off until the next shed. Nothing serious, unless you let it go on for repeated shed cycles.
1.0 Merauke
Bred Meraukes for years, now I get to just enjoy my BIG boy Milo!
Sue Bee on FB.
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:19 am

Don't soak in betadine, unless you use cold water- vapours can affect the respiratory system. Also, chlorhex can have an affect on the resp system and can hurt like billyo! Soak in normal, Luke warm water, straight form the tap. Use can add a teaspoon of table salt, if you suspect infection.

I can't see an infection, but it might be the image, or I can't see it in this picture. If you picked some scales off before they were ready, the scales may not have developed fully underneath. This may cause weeping and scabbing, but best to leave alone. See your vet if you suspect an infection as they can look at it properly, without guesswork.

This does appear to be normal shedding, the milky fluid does appear under the old scales and sometimes is produced in large quantities. best to seek professional advice if you think it is not like previous sheds. Is this his first with you?

Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the replies all.
I'm new to bluies but quite familiar with all aspects of normal shedding. The substance between the old and new scale was not normal or at least in an extreme over abundance.
I took her to the vet who said they work with exotics but he really had no clue. He gave me a tube of Hibitane ointment (chlorhexidine acetate) which I haven't applied yet.
She's eating well and I'm increasing her temps a bit. She seems to be healing herself.
Here are a couple of better pics after her betadine soak and douse with betadine (which was rinsed off after the pic was taken).

Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:35 pm

You are definitely right in that is a nasty infection. I think I'll go hug a toilet now. Best of luck getting that gorgeous girl up to snuff, and please do keep up informed of how everything is going. God, I hope I never see that in person.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
Susann
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Sue Bee

Postby Susann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Gee-pers. Nothing normal about that!
Very happy you've taken her to the vet! Let us know how that works out. Best wishes!
1.0 Merauke
Bred Meraukes for years, now I get to just enjoy my BIG boy Milo!
Sue Bee on FB.
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes it's a sad sight. I've never seen anything like it. She went from looking healthy to quite rough in a couple of days.
As I said she is a fresh import with some minor scars. I had it in the back of my mind to wash her down to decontaminate her but not wanting to unduly stress her I left her alone. Now that I have been working with her I'm finding she's a real sweetheart and would have tolerated a bath quite nicely.
The vet said he couldn't take a culture because the affected areas were dry.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 am

I'm sorry, I really couldn't see that in the pictures before, I'm glad you took him to the vet. Just watch the betadine doesn't dry the other scales too much, they might flake and lift and prolong healing of the surrounding tissues.i really am pleased you went to the vet- much better to see him in the flesh, than to try to diagnose and guess through pictures.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:01 am

The surrounding scales were looking better before the betadine wash but at least now I know the site is clean. I'll leave her alone as much as possible. In think these guys are pretty resilient if their husbandry parameters are good.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:41 am

This is scale rot, a bacterial infection. I have had it before on some blueys that have arrived to me from other sellers. It generally occurs from blueys being kept in wet, or unhygienic conditions. It also passes easily between individuals so be careful about touching other animals.

Oddly enough treatment with over the counter pharmacy antibacterial creams is all hat is needed, as long as the animal is clean, the enclosure is cleaned and sterilized. Chlorhexidine does dry the skin out a lot, but I'm not sure it is such a bad thing if the animal is losing moisture through the skin.

The skin will heal quickly over the exposed scutes if the infection is dealt with, however there will probably be some scarring. Will be interesting to see the result.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:12 am

:noknow: Her cage wasn't that humid. I bumped it up just before her shed because I thought it was a little dry and wanted a good shed. The vast majority of her substrate was bone dry. She's upstairs and everyone else is downstairs.
I put some of the hibitane (chlorhexidine acetate) on her damaged scales but left the intact ones alone.
With my own cuts and scrapes I find they heal better if left to the open air than when covered with "medication".

Thanks Scotts 1au and LeaBilby for your input and everyone else for your support. :thumbs:
Dom

2.6 Meraukes
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Niels D » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:27 am

Hope it heals soon. Good idea to leave it in the open air.
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:28 pm

The bluey may have been handled by someone with the bacteria on their hands - i.e after handling an already affected animal. Actually it normally appears on the underside, or flanks, sometimes the base of the tail. She may have arrived with a small patch somewhere on her as well. One of the risk factors for infection is travelling and being packed in a container for several days with faeces and urine.
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:31 am

Bei g a feesh import to,could have been exposed before coming over,or picked it up from other ones suffering it,im sure she will heal up quite well with treatment
The shedding may have set it off again,re opening the wounds

Pretty skink,even with that,keep us posted on how it goes
Bluish
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Bluish » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 am

Yes I'll keep you posted on her situation.
I'm kicking myself because the day I bought her I also bought some chlorhexidine with the intent to give her a cleaning. I put it off because I didn't want to stress her. She's quite good though. Sometimes she'll huff and puff for a few seconds and then relax and other times she 's quite accepting right off the bat.
At least it is confined to her back which makes it easier to monitor. I don't have to pick her up to check on her etc.
Dom

2.6 Meraukes

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”