I need some advice

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

I need some advice

Postby taniya91 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Ok so I have 2 northerns who are master eaters and very healthy and just recently got a new guy who I thought was a merauke and was told he looks merauke-ish but is probably an IJ (or maybe a mix). Anyway I feed my northerns every other day (skully is 3, crackerjack is 6), they always clear their bowls and one of them (skully) always acts like I'm starving her and pounces the food and stuffs herself. Yesterday after her dinner i was to busy to get her out (we usually watch some tv together) so I just let her chill. But just a few mins ago when I took her out I noticed she cut her tongue!!!!!!!!!!
How on earth did she manage that one?!?!?!?!?!?
There is a little piece of her tongue sticking out of the side of her mouth, it's not bleeding but I'm sure it can't be comfortable
What should I do?
How did she even do that?

Should I feed her every night? Did she manage to do it by eating to anxiously? I had a job interview so after I feed them I left I didn't keep an eye on her eating so I don't know what happened

I feel so bad :,(
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: I need some advice

Postby taniya91 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:34 pm

this is the best picture of it that i can get. everytime i tried taking a picture she would stick her tongue out and it would get all blurred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I keep thinking about this, and I just don't know. I think you may need to contact a veternarian for this.
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 pm

It's the strangest thing ...I didn't think it was possible, there is nothing in her cage that could cause it... Her attitude had most deffinitly not changed... I offered her a blackberry just to see if her appetite was ok and she chomped it down and asked for another ....right now the bit that was sticking out Is In her mouth, when it starts to stick out she does a licking motion as if to lick her chin and it goes right back in her mouth

I'm just baffled at how she did it
I'll call the vet in the morning, I figured I'd ask here first because at the time I noticed it the vet was already closed
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 pm

oh and i was able to get a better picture a little bit earlier...that isnt blood on her face i promise- its blackberry juice, she is a messy eater

the second picture is right after she licked her face and poof the tongue disappeared back in her mouth

my poor baby
:(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 pm

It's a very odd issue IMO, I've never seen it in a reptile before. I know that there are dogs with this issue though. I know there was a dog at the shelter who had the tongue out the side. It didn't bother it, but needed to be moistened regularly, and the dog drooled constantly.

Hopefully the vet can have a look and tell you the cause, and fix it if possible. It might also correct itself, but I'd personally ask a vet to be safe.

Next time it's out, poke it and see if she pulls it back in?
Melanie J. Pratt
www.MelsExotics.ca
Currently living at Mel's Exotics:
BTS: Northerns, Caramel Northerns, Meraukes, Irian Jayas, Silver Tanimbars, Yellow Tanimbars
AFTs: Wild-Type, Striped, Amelanistic, Caramel Albino, Patternless, White Out
California Kingsnake
Dumeril Boa
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm

she does pull it back in when i poke it, thats the first thing i did when i saw it thinking it was bedding and realized it was squishy so made her open her mouth under the light and saw it was her tongue.
it doesnt seem to bother her at all but its bothering me a ton

ive seen it in dogs too, i REALLY wish i would have seen her do it so i could know how to prevent it ...maybe she bit herself?
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:00 pm

ok i really hope im not annoying anyone with these pictures but i got a few better ones- i got her to open her mouth
i know that no one can really help which is why im calling the vet in the morning but maybe the pictures can lead to some guesses as to how she did it?
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Cripes,never seen that in a bluey,may have chomped on something needing chewing and tongue got in the way,my old dog had that a few times,healed it self,wasnt as severe though,id say it should heal up and hanging bit my die and fall off,or perhaps stay like that,maybe an idea to visit the vet just for peace of mind

Very odd indeed
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:30 pm

That makes sense I did give her a couple pieces of broccoli for the first time yesterday (I know they arent suppose to have a lot of it) I made them pretty small but I guess not small enough. The other guys didn't have an issue-she will never have broccoli ever ever ever again! Stupid crunchy broccoli ....she will get strictly blended food from now on minus the really soft stuff like grapes and berries

...still calling the vet but knowing skully she got way to excited for her food and tried to eat to quickly

I still feel horrible
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:38 am

I'd say, a vet visit would be worth it. Mouths are so high in bacteria, that prophylactic antibiotics are sometimes used, purely to prevent infection, although it does look a clean cut. At first glance, it looks like she chomped and bit her tongue, but the slice looks so smooth, it's almost like she cut it on glass! How, well, you'll need to investigate and I'd remove any objects in the tank and check them over with your hands. Also check all the tank surfaces, just to make sure there has been no fracture appear in the glass surfaces.

Your priority is a checkup, but you need to then check the tank over before you put her back, just to make sure she doesn't risk doing it again.

You didn't feed any egg, per chance? Egg shell can cut gums and oral surfaces very easily when uncooked and can stay razor sharp. Baking or cooking makes them more crumbley, but they can still do damage. Just a thought, but then you may not have given her eggs!

Until it heals, steer clear of highly acidic foods and fruits, since they will irritate any broken areas and inhibit healing. Feeding soft boiled eggs, no shells, purée meats and veggies, will help. Most veggies will be fine, but fruits tend to be quite acidic, even bananas when they ripen, but it won't hurt to skip fruits for a week or so.

Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 am

Just looking again, she may well have a malalignment in her jaw- she appears to extend the lower jaw further forward naturally anyway and this could just make her prone to biting her tongue. She could have done it before, but you didn't notice as she carried on like normal. If it's malalignment, it's more of an accident waiting to happen. As Richard said, the sliced bit may well fall off and if she has problems with her bottom jaw, it's probably a good thing to get it over with so she can stop biting it.

Don't feel bad, it certainly doesn't appear you have done anything to make this happen. I'm sure she will heal just fine. Thanks for the extra pictures, they certainly helped show what has happened. Let us know how things go and whether you found a particular cause in your tank. I'd check your water dish, too. Although it may be made for reptiles, because they are mostly factory produced, small imperfections can get overlooked and there may be a rough patch that wasn't initially apparent.
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:36 pm

Getting ready to take her to the vet now (couldn't get an appointment yesterday) I'm really nervous *fingers crossed*
...I'll let everyone know how it goes/went when I get home
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:15 pm

I hope everything works out OK with the vet.

Looking at the pics does suggest there may be a malocclusion as Lea suggested. The mandible projects further forward than the maxilla which would cause misalignment of the teeth crowns and possibly leave a gap into which the edge of the tongue would fit. I recall another BTS on the forum a while ago where the situation was reversed and the maxilla extended further than the mandible. Anyway taking her to a competent vet is far better than us all speculating.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Got back from the vet a while ago and she didn't say anything about skullys jaw. Just that it looked like she accidentally bit herself while eating, it will fall off, but ahe gabe me some antibiotics to put pn it and told me to keep it clean and to come back in a week to make sure itshealing properly
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:54 pm

It seems like a good result. Hopefully it won't occur again.

This pic of a wild Blotchy I found in our yard may be on interest. Her tongue came out to one side from an injury/defect.

DSCF1778CR.jpg
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Yeah and sorry for the hard to understand post above :P I was typing from my phone and it wasn't easy. Skully's tongue was/is split kind of like a snake and the tiny bit that sticks out of the side of her mouth will fall off according to the vet, but I have to take her back next week just to make sure

It was an overall great experience at the vet, she was very knowledgable as was the staff and very nice and had shockingly low prices

....something odd happened though

Skully tried running from everyone, she kept trying to hide in my shirt. She would be laying on her towel on the exam table and everything was fine but when someone came in the room and took a step towards her she freaked out and ran towards me and tried to hide in my shirt...she did this to every person that got near her, she was acting like a scared child -it was kind of sad but cute at the same time

Is that kind of behavior normal?
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:51 pm

On the few occasions I have taken the blueys to the vet my problem has been keeping them still on the exam table, they want to wander off and investigate everything. It is when you have to hold them still for the vet to examine you find out just how strong they are, particularly if they don't want the vet to touch them. :)

I have a rabbit who will not allow any vet to handle her unless I have my hand somewhere on her and she knows it is me. As soon as the vet finishes she immediately pushes herself as close to me as she can get and hides her head in my hand. It is nice though to see the amount of trust she has in me and it seems that is how Skully sees you.
taniya91
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby taniya91 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:06 pm

Skully just peed all over the vet haha and I do mean all over. It was quite entertaining. I love her little stubborn butt
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:28 pm

taniya91 wrote:Skully just peed all over the vet haha and I do mean all over. It was quite entertaining. I love her little stubborn butt

Perfect time to get a urine sample. :D

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”