Wonky is wild-caught!

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Sarah Jane
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Wonky is wild-caught!

Postby Sarah Jane » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 pm

A baby blue-tongue was brought to me by my neighbour, she knew that I already kept reptiles (including blue-tongues). She told me that she found the dog barking at it, and suspected that she'd (the dog) chewed it up somewhat because it couldn't walk. I looked at the brand new baby; it couldn't have been more than a couple of days old, and decided that it hadn't been chewed. However,I noticed a hump on it's back and bumps near the tail and it certainly couldn't walk, instead it would roll pathetically onto it's back. I took it with me to work (I then worked as an animal catcher for an environmental consultation company) and talked to my boss and a work colleague who also keeps reptiles and asked what they thought I should do about it. They both agreed that I should try and care for it. I've always wondered if this was bad advise and perhaps I should have taken it to a wildlife carer, but in my defence I honestly thought it would die.
He was named Wonky and has since flourished, growing well and with the greatest appetite, better than most of my adults. But he still has trouble with his motor skills, he couldn't feed unassisted for instance, and often when he walks, he'll just topple sideways. I'm sure he was just born this way, and I'm mindful that he gets enough calcium because he looks as though he's got MBD. Now that I know he's not going to kick the bucket, I don't know what I should do about it having been wild caught. I'm sure I could just keep it quiet, but I would like him to see a vet, and I'm not sure what I'd say to them about it's history. Ideally I'd have him on licence and let him live out the rest of his wonky days in comfort, how can I get him on licence? Comments welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: Wonky is wild-caught!

Postby Richard.C » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:17 am

What state are you in,some states easterns can be kept with out a need for a licence

Legally if it needs to be licenced,only way to get it on licence is deemed illegal
Sarah Jane
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Sarah Jane » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:20 pm

I'm in Queensland, and I'm sure everyone needs to be on the licence. It's a shame, what happens to reptiles that are unfit for the wild?
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Sarah Jane wrote:I'm in Queensland, and I'm sure everyone needs to be on the licence. It's a shame, what happens to reptiles that are unfit for the wild?

While I am not in Australia and not too familiar with your laws, Id assume you would notify a department of wildlife, a wildlife rehab center, or a similar group/facility for animals that are unfit for the wild. Or just let Mother Nature run its course and not interfere with the ugly cycle of life.
Brad
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Look into qld licencing requirements,years ago you used to be able to keep a few species off licence,but only 2 of each species,not sure if you could if you were licenced already though,easterns were one of the species listed,thats from when i lived up there breifly,i think back in 97 so could have changed since then

Injured wildlife are suposed to go to registered carers,alot are fine if left alone,hence the rules,othrrwise every tom dick and harry would be rescuing wild ones,the majority of which are perfectly fine left to there own devices

Your little guy if found recently is from last season,id say born with a deformity rather than mbd,unless it was a released captive,though sounds mostly like a deformity it was born with to me
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys

Postby Lea » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:38 pm

There are lots of places to contact, but FAUNA, on 1300 328 621, are available 24hours a day for advice on all native animal rescue,Including birds and reptiles. They'll tell you what license you need and how to apply and advise you of registered carers, if you decide you don't want to keep him. You'll need to explain you have just found out that you needed a license though as they still have the right to fine you, since it's been a considerable time since you obtained him. There are plenty of websites which will advise of these laws, but for the most up to date information, speaking to them by phone is probably best. Most forms will be printable from the internet, but if not, they'll send you the required forms. FAUNA also has their own website, with further contact numbers and information, http://www.fauna.org.au/
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”