Page 1 of 1

HELP: Emergency Question

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:17 pm
by selrotta
Hi all. I registered here just to ask this question.

My bluey stole a small piece of a chocolate cookie dusted with sugar (it was set on the table as I was doing my morning chores while eating breakfast). He didn't eat the whole thing, but it was already small to begin with.

I just need to know if eating chocolate is harmful to our skinks--I've searched this forum and found at least one post saying their bluey eats chocolate cake (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20250&p=395294&hilit=chocolate#p395294).

I'm sort of panicking right now. Are there incidents of blueys getting sick of chocolate?

Thanks very much.

Re: HELP: Emergency Question

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:24 pm
by Richard.C
shouldnt harm them,i once had one chomp half a a milky way chocalate bar,just keep an eye on your lizard just in case,but i cant see it being to bad,though in large amounts i can harm dogs,so always wise to keep an eye on them

Re: HELP: Emergency Question

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:52 pm
by selrotta
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the quick reply! My bluey Hunter is still his alert self as always and is currently trying to literally eat the (clean) sink.

One thing is for sure though, I won't leave food lying around him anymore. Was already used to him being a bit picky with his food, so I didn't think he'd attack the non-savory cookie :<

Re: HELP: Emergency Question

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:19 pm
by Katrina
Like Richard said, a small piece of chocolate cookie shouldn't do any harm. I wouldn't feed any more, but don't panic!

Welcome to the forum. :D

Re: HELP: Emergency Question

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 pm
by selrotta
Thanks guys! Yeah, I wouldn't place one near the little guy.

If only he pounced on his greens with the same enthusiasm, without having to hide it in his chicken :<

Re: HELP: Emergency Question

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:53 pm
by Scooter_in_Kindergarten
My old dog once stole and ate a half batch (almost 10 cookies) of chocolate chip cookies, and she was fine. I'm sure a little bit of a chocolate cookie wouldn't be too bad, not a good snack - but probably wouldn't be extremely harmful.
Skinks are surprisingly resilient.

Re: HELP: Emergency Question

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm
by Spindown
I feel so much better! Baneling ate a lucky charms marshmellow once...i even have a pic to prove it :)