HELP!

This Forum is for scientific, medical, pathological, environmental, etc. discussions.
Rules are different for this forum, be sure to read through them inside.
Forum rules
The rules for this forum are different from all the others on this site.
1) Questions regarding sick skinks do not belong here.
2) If you are not sure if your topic is OK here, post it in the General Discussion forum; a moderator can then move it here if appropriate.
3) This forum is for advanced discussions, such as scientific, medical, reproductive, pathological, environmental, etc.
4) PROOF, FACT, and BACK IT UP are three things to keep in mind when posting.
5) Comments need to add to the discussion. “Good job”, “I agree”, or “Nice skink” etc, do not add to the discussion and are not allowed here. If stating an opinion, back it up with what experiences have led to that opinion.
6) The 3 month rule is not in effect; you may post on any thread no matter how old it is.
Dippy_Dipstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

HELP!

Postby Dippy_Dipstar » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Found out why youngsters should not be kept with adults yesterday... Young spyro was placed in the adults enclosure to warm up as i havent had the money to finish his yet, and yes he is being housed seperatly. But i saw him running and got up to take a look, only to see his tail is now missing and i believe one of the adults bit it off. He is only a yearling Eastern Bluey, How long will it take for his tail to grow back? and what can i do to help him :( poor little bugger
Dipstar
WanderingChai
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Re: HELP!

Postby WanderingChai » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:53 pm

Personally I do not like posts titled "HELP". Second, I think this belongs in the General Discussion forum.
The first thing to do is to move it to a new tank. IMO, no skinks should be kept together unless it is in a huge outdoor enclosure, or babies up to a few days old.
If love is a labor, I'll slave to the end.
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:15 pm

I would put him in an enclosure with no substrate for a week or so until the wound is closed up well. The tail will not so much "grow back", as it will "heal up". If it is just the tip that was lost, it will end up looking pretty normal. If a large part was bitten off, it will always look like a stub.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Dippy_Dipstar
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dippy_Dipstar » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:50 am

His tails gone almost from the back legs, he lost a fair bit of it.
Dipstar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:27 am

It will just heal over, and probably just be a rounded stub. It might form a slight point, but when it is that much gone, usually just rounded.

The good news is that it really should heal well and not cause him any problem in the future. It is still a painful injury that should be prevented though, which is why we always recommend NEVER keeping two BTS together even temporarily unless you have the experience to know the species you are keeping and how to do it properly.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
mark_w
Skinks in the UK
Skinks in the UK

Postby mark_w » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 pm

It does depend on how far back from the back legs we are talking - I do know of one (bred by me but not in my care) that had complications with its hemipenes (they kept popping out and stopped going back in). Eventually they had to be surgically removed.
scincoides - intermedia - nigrolutea - occipitalis

Return to “Advanced BTS Discussion”