History Of Reptile Keeping

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

History Of Reptile Keeping

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:50 pm

I’ve been getting curious about the history of reptile keeping. I’ve tried to find stuff on Google about it, but it seems overall pretty poorly documented. Anybody know anything about it? Cause it seems like all anyone really talks about is the way our care has improved since then; but not anything about the people who were really big in the hobby back then. Obviously EVERYBODY knows Steve Irwin, but other than him there doesn’t really seem to be anybody that’s still talked about. Why?
Herpin Man
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: History Of Reptile Keeping

Postby Herpin Man » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:20 am

There is very little published about the subject. There's plenty of gossip online, not necessarily accurate.
I can suggest a couple of titles that you may enjoy.
A Field Guide to the Life and Times of Roger Conant- follows the authors life and career. Many, many, herpetologists and zoo keepers are discussed.
The Dragon Traders by Michael Burger- this might be closer to what you are looking for. It follows herp keeping from early zoos and roadside snake farms, and mentions some of the early breeders. It's not quite the exhaustive list of the who's who of breeding and selling that you would perhaps like, but it's the closest thing that I'm aware of.
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: History Of Reptile Keeping

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:52 am

Herpin Man wrote:There is very little published about the subject. There's plenty of gossip online, not necessarily accurate.
I can suggest a couple of titles that you may enjoy.
A Field Guide to the Life and Times of Roger Conant- follows the authors life and career. Many, many, herpetologists and zoo keepers are discussed.
The Dragon Traders by Michael Burger- this might be closer to what you are looking for. It follows herp keeping from early zoos and roadside snake farms, and mentions some of the early breeders. It's not quite the exhaustive list of the who's who of breeding and selling that you would perhaps like, but it's the closest thing that I'm aware of.

Thank you! I’ll definitely look into getting those! :D

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”