Best Reptile For Beginners (able to live in high humidity)

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
fishyfriends876
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Best Reptile For Beginners (able to live in high humidity)

Postby fishyfriends876 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:42 am

Hello! I am looking for a good reptile for beginners that is able to live in humidity levels 50%+.

I don't think I can afford a dehumidifier, and where I live is 50-60% humidity and will probably be more if I add a water bowl.

splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Best Reptile For Beginners (able to live in high humidity)

Postby splashy07 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:39 pm

I don’t even know where to start there are so many humidity loving reptiles. My personal favorite is the water dragon, very personable and doesn’t get out of hand with size like an iguana. Being you are on this site and if you don’t already have one, perhaps you are looking for a blue tongue? Any Indonesian species, which includes halmahera,
Merauke and IJs all love humidity. I live on Long Island which is quite humid in summer and I do not have issues with the Australian species I keep. Choices of lighting and substrate can keep humidity in check. I even keep some desert species with no issues. The environment inside the cage can be adjusted. It does not reflect the ambient in the house. We do not sit under heat lamps! Have fun looking, and I’d be happy to help with questions as I have kept many different species over the years.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon May 18, 2020 9:03 am

Eastern Water Skinks ( Eulamprus quoyii ) , nice medium sized and very social , and tame up nicely if you treat them calmly and gently.
Full of character and personality too .

Gippsland ( Intellagama lesueurii howitti, ) and eastern Water dragons ( Intellagama lesueurii ) ( serious lizards but again tame up nicely )

Asian water dragons .( Physignathus cocincinus )

Crocodile water skinks .( T. novaeguineae )

A few that came to mind to me.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:17 am

Those are all quite uncommon over here.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”