Other Pets

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Other Pets

Postby mb606587 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:02 pm

So we all love Blue Tongue Skinks or we wouldn't be here. What other pets do you have?
IMG_1292.jpg
20181118_165233.jpg
20160529_121756.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Other Pets

Postby splashy07 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:05 am

Awww, nice! I've got plenty others but I'm usually at work when I check the forum on a piece of junk computer. I'll try and find some time and post some pics from home. Easier than using my phone which about makes me go blind! That bunny is adorable, a friend of mine has one like that. Unfortunately my allergies won't allow me to hold him. It's like torture not being able to give him a big hug!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:43 pm

Yes I am highly allergic to it but its my wife's and she allows me to keep my collection so I wouldn't force her to rehome it. Recently became asthmatic for the first time until I moved him to his own spare bedroom that he free roams. He is the most friendly thing too, runs right up to me every time I go in and paws at me, follows me around everywhere. I can only entertain him for a few minutes. But I'll tell you if you think lizard proofing a room is hard, try bunny proofing one. They chew EVERYTHING. He once chewed through heat and uv light cords for three of my Blue Tongue enclosures that I temporarily ran exposed wires through a cardboard box until I could plate them but this demon spawn managed to chew through the cardboard box and get in. Nevermind, the fact that he singed his whiskers real good gnawing the first cord but continued until he severed all the rest. He even chews the cord while I'm vacuuming and I constantly have to shoo him away.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:44 pm

Oh no! Yeah, in reality they're just big cute rodents and they love to chew! Here's a few of my others...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Beautiful animals. Love that Cuban anole. I have a couple others but posted them in Other Skink Species thread instead.

And ditto on the big rodents. I always jokingly refer to him as a "rat with ears" and my wife is quick to correct me that he's a lagomorph. She's the expert, I'm not.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Cuban anoles have a bad reputation, but it is completely false. Some are not the friendliest, but I even had a tame tokay gecko. Gentle handling and the right approach and I believe any can be tamed. This guy was a sweetheart from day one. Here he is two years ago when he just arrived.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:04 pm

My cats, Albert and Keanu.
I have budgies too but they are more of my sister’s I don’t have any photos of them unfortunately. But just today the female laid an egg!
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Awwww! Beautiful! I love cats, birds too but unfortunately my allergies prohibit my keeping. I used to keep macaws, what fun they were! Loud and messy but so worth it with their hysterical antics.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:08 pm

Awwww! Beautiful! I love cats, birds too but unfortunately my allergies prohibit my keeping. I used to keep macaws, what fun they were! Loud and messy but so worth it with their hysterical antics.
xkillmeowx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby xkillmeowx » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:14 am

Cat named Barnum
Bearded named Jaraxxus
Blue tongue named Gilbert
Pig named Fiona
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Here's a few more...mantella frogs, a scaleless corn snake and an orchid mantis.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Omg splashy07 you’ve made me want a stick insect!! And what is the little bug on the second to last pic? I want one of those to haha!! My other half says he used to keep stick insects but they smelt? Have you found this?
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:39 pm

Suzle87 wrote:Omg splashy07 you’ve made me want a stick insect!! And what is the little bug on the second to last pic? I want one of those to haha!! My other half says he used to keep stick insects but they smelt? Have you found this?

Praying Mantises are even more fun and very interative. I often brought home huge praying mantises as well as humungus stick insects (over 12 inches long) as a kid.

The mantises were the more fun , I'd catch flies and hand feed them, and sometimes I'd have finger boxing matches with the big praying mantises and if they caught my finger they had a strong grip and often proceeded to try to eat the finger.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 am

My favorite species, the Prehensile Tailed Skink from the Solomon Islands. More handleable with more personality than any of my Blue Tongues and you can go hands free. Won't leave your shoulder. But man those nails will cut through exposed skin like butter.
Sorry for sideways pictures.
20181216_102104.jpg
20181216_102002.jpg
20181101_010238.jpg
20181101_010226.jpg
20180410_221414.jpg
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:40 am

Nice one, mb! They used to be common in the pet trade back in the 80s. Like many other awesome reptiles, they've all but disappeared.
And about the stick insects, no, they don't smell, there is not one offensive thing about them. The little pink and white bug is a baby orchid mantis. Currently keeping four different types of mantids. How do you like my baby stick bug? The coolest thing about them is they are parthenogenic.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:13 pm

splashy07 wrote:Nice one, mb! They used to be common in the pet trade back in the 80s. Like many other awesome reptiles, they've all but disappeared.
And about the stick insects, no, they don't smell, there is not one offensive thing about them. The little pink and white bug is a baby orchid mantis. Currently keeping four different types of mantids. How do you like my baby stick bug? The coolest thing about them is they are parthenogenic.

Oh my god they are too cute!! Think these will be next on my list!! Will look into where I can get some from. Thanks so much for sharing and answering my questions!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm

splashy07 wrote:Nice one, mb! They used to be common in the pet trade back in the 80s. Like many other awesome reptiles, they've all but disappeared.

Yes, my dad bought one from a Brooklyn pet shop back in '88 when they were still imported. Think he paid like $50 for it then. Sold his entire reptile collection years later but always said that was the one he regretted selling the most. I've heard the Solomon Islands has recently lifted the ban and is allowing a small number of babies to be exported. From what I was told only individuals 13" and smaller. I've seen them being sold more frequently on fauna lately and some for decent prices ($800) so that could be the case.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Suzle87 wrote:
Oh my god they are too cute!! Think these will be next on my list!! Will look into where I can get some from. Thanks so much for sharing and answering my questions!

They are worth every penny you will pay, which unfortunately I can assure you will be ALOT! They were imported heavily for several years in the late 1980's, but since 1991 or 1992, the Solomon Islands banned the exportation of the species, so the supply has been limited to only the stock that have been bred from those original imports 30 years ago. And they only produce a single baby on average to the few who have successfully bred them. I have heard the Solomon Islands has relaxed the ban recently, so babies (most likely imported) are a bit more common than they once were. Here is a thread where I went into a bit more detail on their care if you're interested. Other Skink Species
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:40 pm

Believe it or not, I saw one on Craigslist last week. $1500.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Yikes...out of my price range for sure. I actually saw one recently advertised as a local pick up only in NJ for $650. Best price I've seen in years and believe me I've been looking. I've determined mine's a male so I'll be looking for a female for him. I've read that the males can do okay on their own but the females tend to exhibit signs of mental distress if housed by themselves so its important to find them in pairs. It's tough because with a pair, not only are you going to be paying at least 2K, but I spent close to a thousand building the enclosure. Not only that but just as with BTS, you almost never find one that's been positively sexed so it makes it difficult. Had to add one more picture. In case anybody wonders why they're called Monkey Skinks :lol:
20190101_221345.png

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”