For picky ball pythons

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

For picky ball pythons

Postby splashy07 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 am

Hi all, I'm sure many of us keep ball pythons, they've become as popular as the bearded dragon in the reptile industry. Well known for being picky eaters at times, they're the pickiest when first born. They have a favorite though, the African soft furred rat is part of their natural diet in the wild. Very few will refuse these. Having horrific allergies and never being able to tolerate rodents, I stopped breeding rats a long time ago. Then I discovered these. They're absolutely odorless, don't get huge (an adult is about the size of your standard fare pet shop small rat) and don't give me allergies.
Being rats they eat anything. They get leftover skink food in addition to a wide variety of whatever I've got around. My skinks eagerly accept the pinks and fuzzies, I give my females a few when gravid and after birthing for some calcium/whole animal protein. I know. They're cute. But so are my snakes. And these rats bite. Their cuteness fades fast once one nails you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leigti
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: For picky ball pythons

Postby Leigti » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:36 pm

They are kind of cute. But yeah, once one bit me I would have no trouble feeding it to my skink. I only have one skink so having rats around is not practical. But I have thought about feeding some pinky mice to my skink once in a while. Dobby is about seven months old, is that too young to be eating pinky mice?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: For picky ball pythons

Postby splashy07 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 am

I feed pinks and fuzzies to my females for added calcium/protein intake when gravid and after breeding. Occasional treats to my picky eaters when coming out of brumation also. It's kind of gross so I'd feed outside the enclosure. Mine have eaten them younger than that, but remember, only occasionally and preferably dead (frozen/thawed).

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”