Trip to Sanibel Island

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter
Your Facebook name: Dakota Nivens

Trip to Sanibel Island

Postby Dakota » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:24 am

Well, we finally got the car able to drive, so Dad and I took a drive to Sanibel, which is about 20 minutes away from us. Originally went to collect invasive Zachrysia, but did not see any. :( Went to the national wildlife refuge "J. N. Ding Darling", too, and took a 4 mile hike. Here are some of the photos I took.

Going two miles into the Gulf of Mexico.

Ding Darling view.

Minnows swimming around.

My little buddy: Spotted Mangrove Crab.

Not sure of exact species, but it is a Mangrove Crab, as well.

Mangrove Perwinkle. Technically a saltwater snail, but they spend most of their time up in trees. It had a trap door, so one of those evolutionary footsteps between land snails and aquatic snails.

Me holding the ~5 ft Yellow Rat Snake I found and caught. :)

Close up image of it.

Flash went off in this picture, but it shows how girthy this snake is.

Found a Florida Woods Cockroach looking for some snails.

Can you see the reptile in this picture?

It is a Six-lined Racerunner.

Fiddler Crab next to his hole. I got mugged by one of these guys trying to catch a snail.

Hope you enjoyed the photos. It was an awesome experience. Maybe next time I can find the Zachrysia. :)
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: Trip to Sanibel Island

Postby Richard.C » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:38 am

Looks like a fun day out

Oi,wheres the pic of the nivens mobile
laineychamp
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby laineychamp » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:41 am

I think that will be lovely going adventuring. My favourite is the snake whats yours? :noknow: :D
I'm Lainey and I'm 9! I love my cute little lizard treasure
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:13 am

Oops, forgot that picture, Richard. ;-)

The snake was definitely impressive, but I think it was a tie between the snail and the snake for me. Both were impressive finds. Would have been awesome if there were Zachrysia snails, but I figured they would not be out until sunset. The refuge is closed during the night. Would be awesome to go night herping/snail hunting, though. Dad works on Sanibel some days, so there is still hope for them.

There was a Florida Box Turtle crossing the road as we were entering the island, and it was amazing how the people swerved out of the road to let it cross. Nice to see so much respect for the local fauna. We also seen a lot of Herons, Egrets, Pelicans, etc.
"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." — Charles Darwin
Dood
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby Dood » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:43 am

Good eye needed to see that skink with all the brush :thumbs:

That mustard coloured water freaked me out a bit :shock: but if it's full of young fish it cant be too toxic :noknow: is it from the rotting vegetation? We've got tea coloured swamp water but the trees are mostly oak and hickory and the fallen leaves have a lot of dark tannins

Sorry you didn't find your desired quarry but sounds like you had a nice trip :)
Dakota
Snail Hunter
Snail Hunter

Postby Dakota » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:03 am

It is actually a member of Teiidae, so a close relative to the Ameivas and Tegus. I seen it scuddling along, but I did not even bother trying to catch it. Last time I dived after a fast moving reptile did not end well for me. :lol:

There were lots of Sea Grape plants, and their leaves tend to turn this color when dead, so I'm sure that is what is was. This island is a very pristine habitat. Though there are lots of mansions around, they put wildlife #1, and pedestrians #2. :)
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:28 pm

Come on dakota,wheres some pics of your ride,first car and all ,exciting times,maybe ita just me who takes pics of new cars,even now that im an old codger
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:02 am

Awesome trip, Dakota. Always wanted to do stuff like that but whenever I'm in Florida there's no one with me that likes that stuff. Looks like you had fun! Brings back memories of chasing racerunners in my younger days! Awesome yellow rat!
Caught a corn snake in a tree one time down south, came out of the restaurant to get dad's car and there it was...had to sneak it in my purse or my mom would have freaked...was driving home the next day and took him with me. Had him for a very long time before giving to a friend. I was very young then, do not take anything from the wild anymore except insects. So jealous of your trip!

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”