Emerald Swift Babies again!

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Emerald Swift Babies again!

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:52 am

Hi all, my Emeralds had babies for the second year in a row, last years two survivors (out of five) are almost fully grown and are a pair! So far I have counted four babies, but doesn't look like Mom is done! It just amazes me that they are breeding in a community setup, when I hear of others setting them up to breed and doing everything by the book with no luck. Not expected or planned, but they just keep having more! Also living in the 'ghetto' tank are plateds (flavigularis) and a pair of cordylus (mossambicus). All have been getting along just fine for quite a number of years, and the little swifts keep breeding. The cordylus and the plateds hide most of the time, so the swifts have the run of the place. Crickets, superworms, mealworms and dubias breed freely in there. One day when I retire and have the space I'd like to do a much bigger one, with diurnal and nocturnal species (mostly to control the roach and cricket population that gets a bit out of hand at times). The Emeralds are like having a colorful little fish tank, so fun to watch and they are less afraid of me all the time. Almost had one eating off a tweezer! Pretty little things if you don't mind having lizards you can't handle.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Re: Emerald Swift Babies again!

Postby Richard.C » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:09 pm

Nice one,sounds like a good set up,self sustaining

Never be shy in posting pics of the swifts ect
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:16 am

Seems like the less you bother with it the better it does...squirt some water in there, change their water dish daily and that's about it. Was a spare tank I had left from an upgrade that I decided to mix and match all the lizards given to me. I had to make a trap because there were too many dubias in there, so a leftover aluminum bird dish from my macaw days with a few pieces of dry dog food in there trapped about 50 that could not get out once they fell in! Would love to post pictures but for some reason can not do it from my ipad at home. This is a work computer I'm on right now. Be happy to email them to anyone who wants.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:24 pm

If u email them to me i can post them up for you if u like

Lennyboof@hotmail.com
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:48 am

OK Richard! Thank you, will do when I get home!

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”