Reptile Art

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:55 am

Luke wrote:@ saphiretigress i really like those last 2 albino ball pythons are you selling any of your work?

Same :D You've really tempted me into doing a snake painting...Now to find a photo...
Toxique
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Toxique » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:02 pm

hehe, i just picked up some paints today, i'm tempted to do a painting of my lovely nero or morti.
1.0.0 Mortimer, Irian Jaya BTS
1.0.0 Nero, Pastel morph ball python
1.0.0 Wheatley, kitty
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:38 pm

Wow, What talented artists we have here, other than flowers all I draw are stick figures :oops:
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:15 pm

Gorgeous work everyone!! :D
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:43 am

Just a really simple tribal style turtle tattoo design that I did for design graphics =D I also have a much more complicated dragon one I'll put up later, but that might be a while as I want to actually finish my real design graphic work first! :lol:
Last edited by Nae on Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:26 am

Nae, Love the Turtle!
MissMeg
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby MissMeg » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:35 pm

This isnt half as good as what youve guys have done, but After my iguana passed away I started to draw this picture. I never finished it, but it was kinda like therapy. It helped me get threw it (well most of it, im still not over it) lol
Theres Jack on the top, Ruckus, Zazu, Pinot, and I started to draw Nomae.
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks Stacy :D

I love the gecko Meg =D

And here you go Kat! :lol:

Ive also done a fish, but since its not a reptile Ill just link it~

http://xdeathcricket.deviantart.com/#/d49f36g

Im having tonnes of fun with these little designs. (If you cant otherwise tell! :lol:)

Ill get around to doing my dragon one one day, haha!

Im really liking this thread, its so cool to see everyones art!
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:16 am

Oh wow - Nae, that is amazing!!! I love it!!!!
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for posting all of these everyone. I really like the style you did this last lzard and the turtle in Nae. I still don't fully understand how you did these though. Were they ones you did with a computer program?

I would love to play around with stuff like that. Is there a website to go to, or how would I learn about it?

If those are real life paintings, forget it! I could never do anything like that!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:39 am

If you are actually serious about the tattoo Katrina, I can send a black and white, non watermarked version? Haha!

Ill try to explain :D

I do pretty much all my art, except just black and white or pencil drawings, digitally as I have a terrible attention span, and so I very quickly lost interest in paintings just doing something like waiting for paint to dry! :lol: I guess Im good at it, but dislike it. I admire anyone who paints, because it means they have an awesome attention span :D

They are initially drawn almost like that (only the lines arent as clear, as all of my thin markers keep running out, so Im stuck doing thin lines with big markers, and so I cant see what Im doing :doh:)

Then I open them in a program called Inkscape, which is free to download and do all the outlines better~

Then after saving that I open it in Photoshop, which I use to add the gradients and watermarks, as people dont seem to realise that although many are, not all graphics are free for them to just take :/( Sorry, art thieves are a pet peeve of mine)

I dont know of any websites or anything, sorry, as I kind of just pressed buttons until I figured it out xD

My digital paintings, like your tortoise, are done 100% with Photoshop just like a real painting - I just keep changing colours and layering and layering until I get what I want basically~
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:14 pm

So you draw a rough version with markers first, and then take a picture of it? I'm so confused. If that is what you are saying though, I think I could figure out the computer stuff eventually. Thanks Nae!
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
Linnea
Swedish Flower
Swedish Flower

Postby Linnea » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:36 pm

jeff, scanning is usually better than photos, but inkscape and photoshop together can save a photography of a drawing too.

myself ive given up on sketching by hand and then scanning/taking a photo due to having a cheap scanner and no proper sunlight 85% of the year. i do either 100% traditional, or 100% computer. However, i always edit all images in photoshop no matter how i made them to ensure they look okay.

there are so many things to choose from, pick any combo you like : D

nae, that tattoo is amazing!
Litchie, northern 1.0
Pomme (Pomelo), northern 1.0
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Nae - that is simply amazing. I just love it. I would love a tattoo of it, but I really can't see myself getting a tattoo any time soon (just too busy), but I would LOVE a print of that. Or of all three (the turtle and the fish too!). Is there any way you could sell me prints? They are just incredible, I LOVE the bluey!!

If I do get a tattoo, that would be it. Wow!!
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:38 pm

I'd love prints of those too, Nae. Actually, I may need to hire you to make a logo for my company. Have you done any commission work before? I love your style of art.

MissMeg, I adore that gecko drawing, it's absolutely adorable.

You guys are all making me want to try drawing. If I get around to trying a reptile I'll make sure to post it. All these reptile artists are awesome :D
StaceyLeigh
Northern Love
Northern Love

Postby StaceyLeigh » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:47 pm

OMG Nae I love that skink tattoo, I am way to chicken and too old for a tattoo, but maybe I could get it on a t-shirt? What a great Christmas present for my son, and me too of course!
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery

Postby Jeff » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Just one last question. Could I use a real picture of a real skink, and then download it to Photoshop or the other website you mentioned Nae, and alter it to the "tattoo" style like yours?
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Jeff, thats pretty much it :D - drew a vague outline, filled it in with designs which I make up on the spot (Ill occasionally erase bits, but not very often), then colour those designs with marker and erase all pencil marks. Then I either scan or photograph - Photographing is easier for me, so when Im just using the original drawing as a 'base' to do the outline onto, the quality doesn't matter at all. My scans come out pretty good quality, but its a pain to set up my scanner so I tend to save that for when I actually want to show the original :D

But, since my original intention is to make a graphic from the original image, I can disregard the scanned image afterwards. So with this picture - (Its fairly old so dont mind it xD)

http://xdeathcricket.deviantart.com/gal ... 0#/d3cv5an

The dark outline was done in Inkscape. I then moved it onto Photoshop to do the colour. Same basic thing with the tats except since initially they were completely black, I filled it in black on Inkscape. :lol: Im probably over - explaining now :doh:

Just like Lightchii said - there are so many ways~ I tend to do everything the hard way, haha! There is another program called PaintToolSAI, which is basically Inkscape and Photoshop in one which I have, but Im too comfortable with Ink. and P.shop that I havent even learnt how to use ot properly. GIMP, which is free, is also another program you could look into?

With the photo, you could do that with Inkscape, but in Photoshop unless you have a PC tablet, might not come out very clean~ I personally dont like doing things on Inkscape from scratch, I like to have a base to work off of :D

Wow, thankyou so much everyone :D Im hoping to be able to do prints sometime, but Id have to use my parents paypal, being under 18 and all, but yeah...

No Ive never done a commission before Fatal, they've always scared me - What if its not good enough, what if I dont do it on time etc :lol: But I have been considering it as of lately, along with prints, as a way to help fund going to go Uni :D

But Im afraid any sort of paid work will have to wait until school is over, as otherwise it might take quite some time :/ But Ill definitly consider it, I feel so...Honoured? That you asked me, really! You so have to try drawing - Ive never really done reptiles before, but they are so fun and easy, as you can tell, Im hooked!

And thanks Stacy, I actually thought of putting it on an article of clothing myself :lol: At this moment I am looking into alternatives to DeviantArt to sell prints, and I have found quite a few that offer shirt prints~

Wow, long reply is ridiculously long... 0.0
Katrina
The Daredevil
The Daredevil

Postby Katrina » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Nae - please do prints!! It is amazing! :D
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer

Postby Nae » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Ive decided to go with CafePress (which also does stuff like mugs, clocks, coasters - I think Im going to have to go shopping :D). Ill just have to wait until I can ask mum for the paypal stuff~

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”