Sticks

Anything and everything not pertaining to blue-tongued skinks.
Forum rules
This is the place where anything goes! As long as it adheres to our general rules, you may post about it here; for example, tell us or show us: who you are, what you do, what you love/like/dislike, what you have, what you made, what happened, how you feel, what you think, what you heard, what you read, what you wonder, etc. How about showing us something we’ve never seen before?!
ThatOneReptileNoob
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Sticks

Postby ThatOneReptileNoob » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:31 pm

Hello, I have a question regarding enclosure setup. I plan to get a crested gecko soon(ish- still gotta get the enclosure set up). I collected some sticks while on a fishing trip, and would like to use them in the enclosure, but I don’t know what kind of tree they came from. I live in an area where cedars and pines aren’t uncommon. The sticks are dry, and seem to have been off the tree for a long time. They were also on a shore, so have likely been soaked at least once. Is it safe to use them, or is there still a risk if they happen to be cedar/pine wood?

Edit: a secondary question that came to me after the initial post: while it’s unlikely that the area I got the sticks from was sprayed directly with pesticides, I believe it was somewhat close to a field. Should I be concerned about potential runoff having carried chemicals down there? It seems like a low chance, but I don’t know much about this yet.
(If it matters, I’ve had the sticks for months now and just never had a chance to use them. They’ve sat in a corner of my room taking up space. xD)
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Re: Sticks

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:48 pm

I love using wild woods and driftwood in my enclosures. Smaller wood pieces can be baked in an oven to help sterilize them, while larger ones can be sprayed down and allowed to dry for a general clean. Some people even do bleach baths I think, but I'm not sure.

As for pine/pesticides, I wouldn't personally be too concerned with a reptile setup (maybe an invert or amphibian). Just IMO though. Maybe someone who knows more can chime in too.

Return to “Everything Off-Topic!”