Brand new BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Brand new BTS

Postby Karbon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Greetings all.

After doing much research and finding a breeder, I finally pulled the trigger today and purchased my first BTS.

Not new to the reptile world, but new to BTS!

I purchased from Omni Reptiles after reading some good things and being almost right down the street from them.
Got to hand pick the one I liked best :D

Without further adieu, I present my Baby Halmahera Blue Tongue. (Doesn't have a name just yet.)
About 3 months old! Only a couple pics from now as he's in his terrarium acclimating to his new environment.

20171011_191117.jpg

20171011_191158.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Brand new BTS

Postby splashy07 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 am

Very nice little one, but 99 and nine tenths positive not captive bred. I do not know of anyone who has successfully bred these. They are imported by the thousands. Best of luck with the cute little guy, and make sure his humidity levels are 80+.
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Karbon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks!

I've got him setup in a Large low Exo Terra. Hot basking side hide is ~100degrees - cooler side has a hide as well and I put in a small Tupperware container with some wet moss if he needs a little extra humidity at all.

I've got some Wild Buffalo grain free wet dog food as well as papayas, seedless grapes and mangos. I know he'll have to adjust for a bit but I'll feel much better when I see that he's eaten something! I've seen him drink so that's a good start.

Also got some Reptical Calcium with D3 sprinkled on his food.

Any tricks to get them to eat or just leave them be and they'll eat on their own as long as food's available?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Congratulations on your new little one. It is adorable. I always just follow the forum's feeding chart. Make sure to don't forget to add veggies and blend really well. Variety is important for these guys. You can always try snails, different types of dog food, I also use lean ground turkey, egg. Good luck!
aaronhouts
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby aaronhouts » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:53 pm

splashy07 wrote:Very nice little one, but 99 and nine tenths positive not captive bred. I do not know of anyone who has successfully bred these. They are imported by the thousands. Best of luck with the cute little guy, and make sure his humidity levels are 80+.

Yup.
These guys are from a farm in Indonesia but nothing wrong with that. We have two ourselves from the same source.
I’d just recommend a quick deworm and you’re in business.
Halmaheras are great!
Good looking little guy!
Congrats!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 pm

aaronhouts wrote:
splashy07 wrote:Very nice little one, but 99 and nine tenths positive not captive bred. I do not know of anyone who has successfully bred these. They are imported by the thousands. Best of luck with the cute little guy, and make sure his humidity levels are 80+.

Yup.
These guys are from a farm in Indonesia but nothing wrong with that. We have two ourselves from the same source.
I’d just recommend a quick deworm and you’re in business.
Halmaheras are great!
Good looking little guy!
Congrats!

Actually , it's a nasty business if they are taking these skinks from the wild to traffic internationally .
See this https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/thr ... ns.194458/
either fully protected or had not been allocated a harvest quota, making their harvest and trade illegal. Approximately half were listed within the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)."

CITES, which Indonesia became a party to in 1979, regulates international wildlife trade. Under CITES, certain species are assigned a harvest quota; a specific number of individuals that can be collected from the wild. Animals listed as "fully protected" or without an assigned harvest quota cannot be legally collected or traded.

Please don't support these criminals , yes , they are criminals , and for every reptile that makes it into a pet shop in the USA or Europe , many die horribly enroute (stuffed in luggage or airfreight consignments).
Do the right thing by the species and ONLY BUY CAPTIVE BRED specimens.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”