Materials for custom enclosure

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
kyerth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Materials for custom enclosure

Postby kyerth » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 pm

Hey guys!
So, I've been researching into materials, prices, etc, and buying plastic sheets online is really expensive! Specially when you plan on doing a 6 to 9 foot long tank...
So I'm probably just gonna order the acrylic via ebay (I need large sheets that are not available in home depot and it is WAY cheaper, the shipping is good too, about 15 dollars for any sheet)
Now, my problem is the rest of the tank, the sides and bottom.
I'm planning to use a good plywood board as the base plate, so the bottom plastic doesn't need to be super rigid or anything, just something that will last and isn't absurdly expensive
The sides I have no idea what to use, I saw some enclosures here with a plastic similar to what you can find on some cheaper dog houses, but I have no idea the name of it..

Ok, so, summing up, I need some recommendations for materials, either plastic or wood, to the sides, and some form of plastic to cover the base so the plywood won't get exposed to moisture.

Thanks!! :D
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Materials for custom enclosure

Postby splashy07 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:06 am

When using plastics, be aware that some could be made with chemicals that may be harmful when exposed to high temps. Make sure whatever you are using would be safe for an animal enclosure. I can't really help with materials as I have never made an enclosure myself.
kyerth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kyerth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:49 pm

splashy07 wrote:When using plastics, be aware that some could be made with chemicals that may be harmful when exposed to high temps. Make sure whatever you are using would be safe for an animal enclosure. I can't really help with materials as I have never made an enclosure myself.

Thanks for the reminder!!
I'm looking into Expanded PVC. It might release chlorine gas if it is above 65c/145f but the part around the CHE will be made out of wood for sure
By the way, if I have a 48" (1.22m) UVB, T5 HO running along the enclosure, do I still need a basking light around the basking area? (ex. an incandescent bulb)
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:48 am

kyerth wrote:
splashy07 wrote:When using plastics, be aware that some could be made with chemicals that may be harmful when exposed to high temps. Make sure whatever you are using would be safe for an animal enclosure. I can't really help with materials as I have never made an enclosure myself.

Thanks for the reminder!!
I'm looking into Expanded PVC. It might release chlorine gas if it is above 65c/145f but the part around the CHE will be made out of wood for sure
By the way, if I have a 48" (1.22m) UVB, T5 HO running along the enclosure, do I still need a basking light around the basking area? (ex. an incandescent bulb)

Expanded PVC is a very poor choice .... it outgases continuously even at room temperatures.

Your best choice is marine plywood (is more resistant to damp conditions than regular plywood).
kyerth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kyerth » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:34 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:
Expanded PVC is a very poor choice .... it outgases continuously even at room temperatures.

Your best choice is marine plywood (is more resistant to damp conditions than regular plywood).

oh wow thanks for the heads up
today I went to home depot and even marine treated plywood will be waaay cheaper than ePVC, so I'll follow your recommendation :D
LeadedCactus83
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby LeadedCactus83 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:48 pm

I would say try your local cabinet shops. Lots of times they have racks full of cut offs that they keep to cut replacement pieces from. Hit a couple of them up and see if you can get some discounted materials. Some places might even have 6'x10' that have only one small piece cut out of them. Worth a shot :D
kyerth
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kyerth » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:26 am

LeadedCactus83 wrote:I would say try your local cabinet shops. Lots of times they have racks full of cut offs that they keep to cut replacement pieces from. Hit a couple of them up and see if you can get some discounted materials. Some places might even have 6'x10' that have only one small piece cut out of them. Worth a shot :D

totally worth a shot!
I ended up making a schematic for the enclosure and even if I cant find something cheaper, I can do it all with a sheet of 4' x 8' plywood, so it shouldn't be too expensive, the bad part is that I don't have any tools lol
gonna try to get some really cheap from craigslist and offerup, even flea markets
old tools are new tools with a little bit of rust, they just need some love and oil :3

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”