my BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

my BTS

Postby kenn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 am

Image

Here the skink was just arrived.
I'll post later on the whole enclosure.

Shell doing really graat, eating well. At first she was shy, but it 's going better every day.
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: my BTS

Postby Richard.C » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:52 am

Nice looking bluey,love the dark legs on some of the indo species,sounds like its settling in well
CarlyM
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:31 pm
Country: Usa

Re: my BTS

Postby CarlyM » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:45 am

She's cute!
0.0.1 Northern- Scruffy
1.0.0 Indonesian- Bender
0.0.1 Irian Jaya x Northern- Dil
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: my BTS

Postby kenn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:53 am

As promised, the enclosure.

Due to the UV lamp, you can't see the left corner. The water part was just been removed for fresh water.
Tiliquaenclosure.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: my BTS

Postby Bird_Brain » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:30 pm

Very nice skink and beautiful enclosure! Just curious, did the skink have mites when you got it? The reason I ask is in the first picture (which I'm assuming is when you first got it) there are several raised scales as well as the white dust all over the skink (obviously the dust could be from the bedding). I'm just curious.
Brad
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: my BTS

Postby kenn » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 am

Indeed.
She had. I treated her offcourse before she was put in her enclosure.
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
Lea
Patron Saint of Blueys
Patron Saint of Blueys
Posts: 4261
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am
Country:
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: my BTS

Postby Lea » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:06 am

She's lovely and looks in good health. It's a shame about the mites, they are pesky things. You might want to consider treating her again in a few weeks, just to catch any eggs she may be harbouring, just to prevent a needless reinfestation.

Your enclosure looks great, lots of room, by the looks of it! I'm sure Shell will spend plenty of time exploring, soon enough. More pictures would be welcomed, once she's settled in.

Welcome to bts.net!
Shinglebacks - Nippy, Lava, Suunto, Lutea, and Hermione
Easterns - Kiah and Jade
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: my BTS

Postby kenn » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:15 am

Thanks for the advice!
I know how to treat them (I'm a vetrinarian exotic animals). It s indeed a pitty of the mites.

After she settles in, I am convinced to find a partner for her. ;) perhaps in Hamm (DE)

I hope she enjoys it here as much as I do.
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
Nae
Forum Graphic Designer
Forum Graphic Designer
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 am
Country:
Location: Western Australia

Re: my BTS

Postby Nae » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:30 am

Shes so lovely, its a shame about the mites - I have never had them, but I heard they suck! :lol:
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: my BTS

Postby Jeff » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:03 pm

Great looking skink! Glad you got the mites taken care of. Nasty little pests. Good eye Brad.

kenn wrote:...perhaps in Hamm (DE)..


Just curious, what does the (DE) stand for? Some of us Americans can be dense sometimes. 8)
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman
Posts: 4079
Joined: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:11 pm
Country:
Location: Warren, Indiana

Re: my BTS

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Jeff wrote:
kenn wrote:...perhaps in Hamm (DE)..


Just curious, what does the (DE) stand for? Some of us Americans can be dense sometimes. 8)

If I had to guess, it stands for Germany (Deutschland =DE)? As Jeff stated, not ALL Americans are dense, just him! :lol:
Brad
User avatar
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:49 pm
Country:
Location: Blue Mountains Australia

Re: my BTS

Postby El Lobo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm

The United Nations assign a two letter code for countries. DE is for Deutschland (Germany), US for United States of America, CA for Canada and AU for Australia etc.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
User avatar
Niels D
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:36 pm
Country:
Location: The Netherlands

Re: my BTS

Postby Niels D » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Like the fact that we've got another Belgium member. Nice skink and good work treating the mites.
Greetings from The Lowlands

0.0.2 T.g.evanescens (Grendel and Scylla)
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: my BTS

Postby kenn » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:54 am

Here in Europe, the largest reptile fair is Hamm. It's located in Germany indeed.

Thanks for the comments everybody!
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: my BTS

Postby kenn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:05 am

Thanks to Richard (and this site) I realized that the owner of this animal, as well as me made a mistake..
I bought the animal as a T. scincoides, but it appears to be a T. gigas

Not that I am going to give her away or anything :mrgreen: but it's a shame that people don't know what there selling.
(and in my case, I was not enough informed!)
That's why I'm going to buy the BTS bible :mrgreen:

Image

I'm trying to tame her by associating me with food.
So today I took some pictures outside her enclosure and treated her with crickets.

In full glory:
Image
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: my BTS

Postby Jeff » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:04 am

Alright, no need to rub in my denseness. I am very familiar with the Hamm Reptile Expos, and have purchased multiple animals from there, I guess I had just never seen the (DE) designation for Germany before. It would be so much easier if the rest of the world could just switch over to English! :wink:


Niels D wrote:Like the fact that we've got another Belgium member. Nice skink and good work treating the mites.


I can think of at least 3 other members there. You guys actually seem to have a fairly big Tiliqua community there for such a small country.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
sd reptiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: my BTS

Postby sd reptiles » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 am

But bts are not very popular overhere .
I dont know why actually...
Just love my coldblooded friends...

0.1 IJ
1.1 Patternless
0.2 Heterozygous Patternless
User avatar
kenn
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 400
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:53 am
Country:
Location: Belgium

Re: my BTS

Postby kenn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:02 pm

sd reptiles wrote:But bts are not very popular overhere .
I dont know why actually...

Indeed..
Greetings
Kenn

Tiliqua ssp. Irian Jaya 0.0.1 [Frosti]
and some other exotics
User avatar
Jeff
Vladik Pippery
Vladik Pippery
Posts: 5684
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:33 pm
Country:
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: my BTS

Postby Jeff » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:27 pm

kenn wrote:...I bought the animal as a T. scincoides, but it appears to be a T. gigas...



I just noticed this. Not to start a debate or anything, but I would consider this skink an Irian Jaya, which is not T. scincoides OR T. gigas. IJ's are currently an undescribed sub-species of Tiliqua (T.ssp.). Some people feel they should be scincoides, and some people think they should be gigas. They are most commonly referred to as either scincoides or simply New Guinea skinks by people who don't understand their current (non) official status.
6.10.9 T. s. intermedia
2.2.7 T. s. scincoides
1.2.1 T. nigrolutea
2.2.0 T. r. rugosa
1.2.3 T.g. keyensis
2.0.5 T.s. chimaera
0.0.0. T. occipitalis
0.0.0. T. multifasciata
http://www.btskinks.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bluetong ... 846297977#
User avatar
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan
Posts: 10474
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:37 am
Country:
Location: melbourne australia

Re: my BTS

Postby Richard.C » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Spot on jeff,looking at last 2 pics id say its an ij,not a gigas species

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 162 guests