Help! Skink has mites

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help! Skink has mites

Postby BlueBella » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:05 am

My skink Deckard has just begun his first shed since Ive had him, and I noticed little black bugs crawling all over him. It's obviously mites I double checked for the mite feces and found them too. I've read multiple things on how to treat them but I don't know which I should do! I feel very bad for him as he must be very uncomfortable shedding and having mites and I want to get rid of them as quickly and easily as possible. What spray should I use? Should I move him into a different cage when I'm disinfecting his current one? I've heard I can keep him in his current cage and use paper towels as a substrate but some people say to use a completely different tank. If I were to move him I don't have any other cages besides a twenty gallon, and I don't think that would be ok even for a few days or a week. Should I disinfect his hides and stuff or I've heard you can bake them in the oven or wash them in the dishwasher? Sorry for all the questions I just hate thinking about him being uncomfortable and unhappy and want the best for him. :(
1.0 Northern Blue Tongue Skink—Deckard
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
0.2 Guinea Pigs—Pumpkin and Potato
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: Help! Skink has mites

Postby kayla990 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:44 am

Awww sorry to hear!

As you're based in US, heard that some have used Front Line with big success. Suggestions are often to remove the substrate entirely, soak decorations in soapy water/animal safe disinfectant then rinse thoroughly with hot water (such as hides). You can use the same cage, once you've taken out your skink and all items - similar to above; use hot water and wipe down/use an animal safe disinfectant on all surfaces.

If you've got any items that can go into the dishwasher/clothes washer it's a good approach (baking items is possible, though need to be careful they are suitable.. hot water should be enough in most cases). Ideally use paper towels as a substrate to keep an eye on things. If you've got a Northern/Aus species shouldn't be too much of an issue using the paper towels. If an Indonesian you'll need to keep on top of humidity (large water bowls, perhaps a soaked sponge attached to the side of the glass).

In case you've not come across it yet;

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30930 is a good reference point!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:31 pm

Thank you so much for your advice. That doesn't sound too hard. I've heard of people using frontline and was going to try it. I looked at all our local pet shops today and called 2 vets offices and NO one had any frontline spray or mite spray. I was very disappointed. I ended up ordering frontline spray on amazon, but it will be here wednesday. Till then Deckard will have to wait. :( Since I couldn't get the spray today I soaked him in water with dawn dish soap and saw several drowned mites. And one more question, can mites get in the carpet? Like I had him out on my floor the other day and sometimes since the tank is on a dresser aspen falls on the floor when I change the water, can the mites get in the carpet and reinfect him if I put him on the floor?
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:07 am

Good question about the mites infesting the carpet, I wasn't 100% sure - but sources such as http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html says that it is possible for them to be in the carpets too (it's recommended to vacuum carpets, drapes etc). Unlucky with the timing for the spray, in the meantime you could still wipe him down with water and kitchen paper, along with the soaks you've already been doing.

I would be personally hesitant to use something like dish soap, as it seems pretty abrasive.. but that's probably speaking on personal experience - as know my skin gets sensitive with it over time. Until the treatment arrives I would say keep to plain water for now, as they should still drown!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
BlueBella
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueBella » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 pm

Thank you so much for your replies Kayla, I will continue to soak him and wipe him down. (As for the dawn soap, I read you could use it as long as they don't drink it but I was a little skeptical and won't be using it anymore) I will also be vacuuming the carpet every day until his cage is all cleaned out and the spray arrives. Thank you for all your help, hopefully my guy will be mite-free after the next few weeks!
0.2 Mutts—Penny and Roxy

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”