Heat lamps left on overnight?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Heat lamps left on overnight?

Postby Angel_BTS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi. I was just wondering if it is ok to leave the heat lamps (basking spot lamps) on overnight? I was told by the reptile store that I purchased Bindi from, that if I left her heat lamps on overnight, it could increase her metabolism and therefore result in her growing faster. I am just worried that it will get too cold overnight for her if the heat lamps are turned completely off. Should I leave them on, or turn them off?
Whnthsungoesdwn
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Heat lamps left on overnight?

Postby Whnthsungoesdwn » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:33 pm

You don’t want to leave basking lights on, it will disrupt their sleep cycle. If your house is extraordinarily cold at night then bindi may benefit from a CHE
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Whnthsungoesdwn wrote:You don’t want to leave basking lights on, it will disrupt their sleep cycle. If your house is extraordinarily cold at night then bindi may benefit from a CHE

Thank you for replying :) I will make sure to leave the heat lamps off from now on, because if it is a cold night the heaters are left on overnight in my house.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:11 am

An overactive metabolism is what you don't want. They grow fast enough on their own. And if possible find another pet shop. No creature or being wants to be kept up all night.
I'd love to know if that shop employee keeps his kids up all night so they 'grow faster'. I've encountered many idiots in the pet trade but he just earned my number one for the week.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 am

Never ever use anything that emits light at night. Even coloured lights that are marketed as night lights.
Have you noticed that little dot on top of your bluey’s head? That’s her parietal eye or “third eye” it is very sensitive to light. It tells them the time of day even when they are hidden in the deepest darkest cave/burrow. It even helps detect potential predators above like birds without having to look up. So having lights on all night can make them think its still daytime and they don’t know when to sleep.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:57 pm

splashy07 wrote:An overactive metabolism is what you don't want. They grow fast enough on their own. And if possible find another pet shop. No creature or being wants to be kept up all night.
I'd love to know if that shop employee keeps his kids up all night so they 'grow faster'. I've encountered many idiots in the pet trade but he just earned my number one for the week.

Haha couldn’t agree with you more! I think I’ve learnt my lesson about listening to what people in the pet trade tell me. He said originally that I should keep the heat lamps on for the first month that I had Bindi, as it will help her “grow”.
From now on, the heat lamp will only be on during the day :)
Angel_BTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Angel_BTS » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:00 pm

Y33T wrote:Never ever use anything that emits light at night. Even coloured lights that are marketed as night lights.
Have you noticed that little dot on top of your bluey’s head? That’s her parietal eye or “third eye” it is very sensitive to light. It tells them the time of day even when they are hidden in the deepest darkest cave/burrow. It even helps detect potential predators above like birds without having to look up. So having lights on all night can make them think its still daytime and they don’t know when to sleep.

Thank you for the information! I had no idea that leaving heat lamps on overnight was not helpful for them - I suppose being a new BTS owner I’m still learning as I go along :) Defiantly won’t be taking anymore advice that pet store employees tell me from now on!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”