Sharing some ideas on hides

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Sharing some ideas on hides

Postby splashy07 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:27 am

Hello all and happy holidays. Would like to share some hide box ideas, inexpensive, light and easy to clean. Indestructible. Ever drop one of those forty dollar ceramic ones? These are a huge problem solver and you will never have to use bad language when you drop one. I'm sure we've all been there...
So first buy some large pieces of cork tile. Wait for a sale, I get them online pretty cheap. Same with the plastic boxes, I buy in bulk. Just cut your cork tile and using safe aquarium sealing silicone stick it on top of the hide. Doubles as a basking platform. My skinks love these. The 13 inch size hide box accommodates even my largest northern.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Sharing some ideas on hides

Postby Hannahsammeli » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:17 pm

:thumbs:
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:02 pm

And those extra cork bark flats are put to use also, one piece being a little platform for the food bowl keeping dropped pieces out of the substrate. Also very natural for these lizards to hide under boards and whatnot, and many times I find their little heads peeking out from under one. Sometimes they rearrange them to their liking, too!
Don't be alarmed about the closeness of the light, they are seven watt LEDs that you can touch. This type cage works very hard at keeping electric bills down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GeezerRep
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby GeezerRep » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi splashy,
What is the temperature under the 7 watt LED basking light?
Thanks for the pics.
Bill
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:50 am

Depending on time of year 87-105

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”