Humidity Tips?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
RavioliBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Humidity Tips?

Postby RavioliBTS » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi everyone. I’m a new BTS owner. I’ve had my guy for a little over 2 weeks. Been browsing the site for some tips about getting my humidity higher. I got my BTS from a rescue that is focused more on geckos but happened to have some skinks for adoption. He’s a Halmahera and was imported from Indonesia sometime in July. The girl who had him takes in the “rejects” from conventions etc and nurses them back to health. He’s been growing super well and eats everything I offer him. Dewormed 3 different times and no signs of any mites. He’s housed on cypress mulch and moss to hold in the humidity. I’m using an UTH heater hooked up with a thermostat to monitor it. I also have a 50w basking and a UVB 10.0 reptisun bulb. I have a big water bowl in his tank (40 gallon breeder) and have been covering the top screen with foil/towel. However I’m still only getting a humidity between 40-65% and I really want to get it to 80%. I mist the tank every evening as well. He hides a lot under the mulch or in his warm hide so not sure if he’s looking for a more humid place to hide? My house is pretty dry in the winter because I have radiator heat so not sure if I can add anything else to what I’m doing to make it more humid in the tank?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Going to try to post some pictures as well.
RavioliBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Humidity Tips?

Postby RavioliBTS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:37 am

I’m up to about 70-75% humidity today with some modifications. Ravs is definitely more interested in being outside of his hide now that there’s a bit more moisture. Still would love to get it closer to 100 if I can. I added some photos of him and his enclosure. He’s still young (6-8 months) and eventually would like to move him into a 75 gallon tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:10 am

You might want to try covering the top with plastic sheeting or aluminum foil where lamps don't need to sit — this really helps trap humidity. Some people like to DIY foggers out of humidifiers like this, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp2XieaYmJ8
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
RavioliBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RavioliBTS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:02 pm

I have the tin foil on top of the tank as of yesterday afternoon. I got a nice 90-95% humidity going. But now I’m back down to only 65-70% and that’s after a good misting. I feel like my substrate is just drying up so quickly from the heat lamps. Should I try lowering my temps a bit? I have my UTH on a thermostat set at 95. My basking point in the hot end gets up to 100 with a 50 watt bulb. I originally had a 75 watt but downgraded because it was getting way to warm (110 and up). My cool end is about 72-75.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:06 pm

Your temps are fine. Maybe place the water dish over the UTH?
Mariah Healey
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
RavioliBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RavioliBTS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Alright I’ll give that a try. The water dish is on the cool side right now so it might not be getting the UTH heat. Thanks!
RavioliBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby RavioliBTS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:21 pm

Back up to 80-85% now :)
I wonder if my hydrometer is really the best... it’s just an analog one by Zilla, very simple. I feel like he has to be pretty well hydrated because his poops have been very consistent and very moist.
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Ah, analog thermometers and hygrometers are rarely reliable. I would recommend switching to the Zilla digital thermometer/hygrometer. It'll run you about $15-$20, but they're all I use. Love em.
Mariah Healey

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”