Confused about species

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
wonderings
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Confused about species

Postby wonderings » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi! I got this four month old last saturday at a reptile expo. I’m confused about indonesian and irian jaya skinks? Would this one be considered indonesian or irian jaya? I was looking at pictures and I couldn’t tell. I think she’s really pretty and I love her color, especially her polka dot legs. They let me hold her right away at the expo and she was fine. Haven’t handled since so she can get used to her new environment and she’s been eating fine. I attached pictures of when I was taking her home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wonderings
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Confused about species

Postby wonderings » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 pm

just a small update unrelated to my question but i handled her for a bit inside her tank and she didn’t even huff! :) im so happy!
Karbon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Karbon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Congrats!
Looks like my little guy that I got a month ago.

They grow FAST! I realized the other day mine has noticeably grown larger already.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's an Indonesian Halmahera.
wonderings
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby wonderings » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:10 am

Karbon wrote:Congrats!
Looks like my little guy that I got a month ago.

They grow FAST! I realized the other day mine has noticeably grown larger already.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that's an Indonesian Halmahera.

Thanks! I can’t wait for her to grow up!
ReptiFiles
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby ReptiFiles » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 am

Looks like an Indonesian Halmahera, but the faded color and reduced head pattern has me thinking Merauke...what color is its belly? I would recommend keeping the humidity really high ~80% just to be safe. Of all BTS subspecies, Halmaheras need the most humidity.
Mariah Healey
Author of ReptiFiles.com, a free online educational resource for reptile owners
Check out my research on captive husbandry for BTS: https://www.reptifiles.com/blue-tongue-skink-care-sheet/
1.0 Tiliqua gigas evanescens
1.0 Tiliqua scincoides intermedia
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 am

Definitely Indo. Halmahera, Merauke and Irian Jaya are all Gigas (Indonesian) species. All require higher humidity than their Aussie counterparts. There are a lot of crosses out there between Indos as they are imported, therefore proper identification beyond the fact that they are Indonesian is often difficult. Looks at least part if not all Halmahera, humidity 70+ and a basking area 95-100. Congratulations, adorable little one!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”