Proper UVB lighting question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Proper UVB lighting question

Postby Hannahsammeli » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm a newbie, just got my three month old baby Northern BTS and I have severe new mom syndrome! lol I just wanna make sure it will be ok if I use a 100 watt uvb in a 36"L x18"W x15"T.. or is that total over kill and could be contributing to the rapid drying of my tank or other future problems and bump it down a notch? I would greatly appreciate the feedback thank you!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Proper UVB lighting question

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:25 am

a 100w neodymium UVA basking will only provide LIGHT + SOME HEAT + UVA , IT PRODUCES ZERO UVB.

NOTE the mesh lid will cut the UV BY ABOUT 40% !!! see this for why https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 0#p1809330

I think northerns require 10 -12 % UVB , therefore your baby northern needs either :

a 26W UVB200 in a NANOHOOD mounted UNDER THE LID , about 8 inches from the basking spot
or
a T8 10-12 %UVB tube in a reflector hood mounted UNDER THE LID , about 8 inches from the basking spot , about 2/3 the length of the viv
or
a T5HO 10-12 %UVB tube in a reflector hood mounted UNDER THE LID , about 12 inches from the basking spot , about 2/3 the length of the viv BEST !!
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Hannahsammeli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 pm

Could I get a different lid and just replace my light with a 26w uvb200? Or does it absolutley have to be inside the enclosure? Nanohood?
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Hannahsammeli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:18 pm

Could I use something like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Hannahsammeli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Another kind of on topic off topic question.. Does anyone have a pereference between ceramic heat emmiting bulbs, infrared heating bulbs? And why?
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Hannahsammeli » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:49 pm

What type of light fixtures are there that mount under the lid? I have a dual light fixture, I just got the 26w uvb200 light, fits in the fixture I already have, it's not a nano though. Dang so much trial and error.. if u get the nano dual light fixture will this be able to mount under the lid without being too close ??
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:16 am

Hannahsammeli wrote:Could I get a different lid and just replace my light with a 26w uvb200? Or does it absolutley have to be inside the enclosure? Nanohood?

Yes. The mesh will reduce the UV by 40% for starts .
And it also means the UV will be too far away to be effective unless you provide an elevated basking spot that permits the skink to climb to a zone where the UVA & UVB are sufficient.

It's about getting the right amount of UVB (and also UVA) at the basking spot, too far to the source ==> UV (A & B) is too low.

This will show you the relationships for intensity of UVB (in microW UVB/sq.cm verse distance) for some good 5%, 6%, 10% and 12% compacts and T8 and T5HO tubes , with and without reflector hoods.https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/vi ... 4&t=235611 data based is on UK UV REPORT & specs on the boxes.

BTW avoid Zilla UV source (globes and tubes , made in china).
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:20 am

Hannahsammeli wrote:Could I use something like this?

That hood should work .... just make sure you install a 26W 10%UVb Exo Terra or Zoo Med or Arcadia compact in it and not a Zilla.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 am

Hannahsammeli wrote:What type of light fixtures are there that mount under the lid? I have a dual light fixture, I just got the 26w uvb200 light, fits in the fixture I already have, it's not a nano though. Dang so much trial and error.. if u get the nano dual light fixture will this be able to mount under the lid without being too close ??

Yes . I operate 26W UVB150s in nano hoods for my Easterns , and 26W UVB200s in nano hoods for my beardies.

See graphs I provided in another post above , no trial and error involved , If your skink require 180 microW UVB/sq.cm simply read off the distance and arrange the light fitting & basking spot accordingly.

Cable ties poked through the mesh and around the hood will fasten it nicely under mesh lid. A 2 minute job.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 am

Hannahsammeli wrote:Another kind of on topic off topic question.. Does anyone have a pereference between ceramic heat emmiting bulbs, infrared heating bulbs? And why?

I take it this is for overnight heating - Ceramic heat emitter is way to go, the red infrareds are a bad idea and will disturb their sleep.

During the day - MVB or par38 incandescent COLOURLESS spotglobe or equiv in a halogen spotglobe is the way to go for light and heat.
Hannahsammeli
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Hannahsammeli » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 am

Thank you all of this is very helpful

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”