Help needed identifying my species of Blue Tongue Skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
JacobB
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help needed identifying my species of Blue Tongue Skink

Postby JacobB » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi guys :)
I have recently purchased a Blue Tongue Skink. We were told in the reptile store that it was an Eastern Blue Tongue skink. Having been home a few days, observing and interacting with him, we were looking around on the Internet to find some similar images, just to double check what species he was (We had done hours of research before hand, and read up on all different species of BTS) Having looked around online, we believe that he looks most like a Tanimbar. After this we became a bit suspicious as the shop owner did say that they were trying to get the mother of our little guy to mate with another BTS from another local shop. However, it was unsuccessful and obviously, another mate was found. What concerns us is that the shop owner told us he keeps another 'very aggressive' BTS out back, but did say it was of another species and was NOT the father of the offspring. We are now starting to wonder, maybe he actually is the father and we could have a crossbreed. I have attached some images of our dude, so any help on what species/sub species he is would be brilliant. Thank you in advance :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Help needed identifying my species of Blue Tongue Skink

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:46 am

My first guess before reading was Tanimbar.
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:50 am

That's a tanimbar tiliqua scincoides chimaerea. Easterns are in the hands of breeders only. The chances of finding a pure eastern in a pet shop are lottery odds. Tanimbars can be very aggressive. But I know a few that are pretty calm with a lot of work.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
TC_Houston
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: ReptileMountain

Postby TC_Houston » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:13 am

I agree with the previous posts. It's a Tanimbar. Keep the humidity at around 70% and try to avoid coming from above when attempting to handle and you'll have greater success. Cute little bug.
JacobB
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JacobB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks for all of your replies. We now find ourselves in a bit of a problem. We love him to bits already, but as we are first time BTS owners, we are not sure we would be able to tame this guy up. Not only that, but we hadn't counted for the needed humidity to be 70%, as we were told it was an eastern. We have contacted the store owner to question him on this, and he has now decided to tell us that he has no idea what species it is. Having contacted another store, there is a possibility that we would hand him over to them (would be extremely hard and sad to do) so that they can provide him with the needed care requirements. They have also told us that they will have some Northerns in soon and we could buy one from them. I have absolutely no idea what to do now, we love him, but for our sake, and for his sake, should we hand him over to a more experienced owner? :(
starscream3232
SuperNerd
SuperNerd

Postby starscream3232 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:10 am

I would do your best to learn how to identify species. Northerns barely turn up in pet stores. Most of the time it's IJs or other Indonesian species being passed off as northerns. Seen it happen many times this year. No breeders that I know of whole sale northerns to pet stores. Plus northern baby season is over till next year. Right now is Indonesian baby import season. A ton have entered the country in the last month. Popping up in pet stores and expos being sold as what ever the seller feels like calling them. A true eastern would cost around $800 or more.
Greg
10.9.5 T.s. Intermedia Northern Blue Tongue Skink
1.0 T.s.s. NSW Eastern Blue Tongue Skink
3.2.7 H. gerrardii Pink tongued skink
1.1 T. nigrolutea Blotched blue tongue
0.0.1 T. Gigas evanescens merauke blue tongue
https://m.facebook.com/ribluetonguesskinks/
JacobB
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby JacobB » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Once again, thank you all for your help. We have come to an agreement with a local reptile store that we will do an exchange. Having spoken to some more people about the Tanimbar species, we have decided that, as we are first time BTS owners, we don't have the experience to keep him. It's going to be horrible taking him to the store as we have already fallen in love with his amazing personality, but we think it's for the best. Luckily this store have been amazing to us. They realised how upset we were about the situation, and have said that they will give us one of their baby BTS in return for letting them have ours. Thank you all once again for your replies :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”