Tail dropping?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Lily
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Tail dropping?

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Hello, I am a new blue tongue skink owner and I noticed that my skink's tail is a lot more clouded than the rest of his body and I thought this might be because of a shedding but I noticed while looking at his underside that there is a light purple redish line horizontally along the bottom of his tail. I'm wondering if this was due to a failed or attempted tail drop, I read a thread previously discussing this issue, but it didn't answer my questions. Could his tail start the regrowth process while this other is still attached, or will this tail still being connected cause pain or health problems for him in the future? If so what should I do? There hasn't been any blood or exposed tissue, so does that mean it'll heal and I won't have to worry about the regrowth of another tail?
I have to admit the first day I got him was stessful on the little guy but nothing besides hiding and stillness came of that. Now he is much more active and loves to be handled. So should I be worried?
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Tail dropping?

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:07 pm

It might have bruised its tail and the blood isn't circulating properly. I'm not sure and I am no medical professional so take it to a vet that's qualified for reptiles.
Lily
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:28 pm

EricaLikeBurrito wrote:It might have bruised its tail and the blood isn't circulating properly. I'm not sure and I am no medical professional so take it to a vet that's qualified for reptiles.

I appreciate your input, what would you do?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:07 pm

Can you get pictures??? I personally can't give an opinion without them. I doubt it's tail will drop though or has an issue.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Lily wrote:
EricaLikeBurrito wrote:It might have bruised its tail and the blood isn't circulating properly. I'm not sure and I am no medical professional so take it to a vet that's qualified for reptiles.

I appreciate your input, what would you do?

I'd take my skink to the vet immediately. I don't wouldn't want it to get worse and I want a professional's advice on it.
Lily
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:23 pm

Janella wrote:Can you get pictures??? I personally can't give an opinion without them. I doubt it's tail will drop though or has an issue.

I also noticed a small bump/notch in his scales on the top part of his tail
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lily
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Janella wrote:Can you get pictures??? I personally can't give an opinion without them. I doubt it's tail will drop though or has an issue.

His tail is also pretty stiff but he still has feeling and is able to move it but I don't know how flexible their tails normally are...
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 am

I don't see anything wrong. Where are you looking? The line you are seeing is it at the base of tail?? Could be his vent you're looking at, or could be slight discoloration because of an imminent shed. Anyway, everything looks fine under there to me.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:49 am

He looks perfectly fine to me also. Their tails are a little stiffer if that makes sense. I agree that he may be going into shed.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey man.
First off, THUMBS UP for coming and asking questions. That is always the best thing to do.

The line where your thumb is highlighting is, in blank terms, his buttcrack/peehole
As for the veins, that's perfectly natural. The pink pattern likely continues up the belly too, it happens on paler scales.

As for the scale changes, it could either be shedding OR his natural colourations as far as I know. I've met a few lizzies that have their head or legs that colour who are in pristine health. Its just how they are. My girl looked like that after a bath, with some scales a different shade. It can be grime on them. Or again, prepping to shed. Shedding can be a long process. My old girl took about 3 months to completely shed, with bathes and places to naturally rub.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”