Need name suggestions and advice

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
araquanid
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Need name suggestions and advice

Postby araquanid » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:27 pm

I recently got my own bts and he (or she) is absolutely adorable, but I still haven't come up with a fitting name for them. Do you have any good suggestions?

Also, I'm slowly but surely trying to befriend them. What sort of tips do you have for getting a skink to like you?

(Sorry I couldn't get a picture to upload, for some reason it won't work on my phone.)
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Need name suggestions and advice

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Fluffy? Dwight? Jade?
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Yoshi, Cashew, Dino, and maybe Apollo or Athena. Whatever you like weather it's a movie, show, singer, or song, family, friend, you can name them after that!
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:49 am

Choose a name that fits his / her personality ....
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:37 am

If you want to get them to like and trust you, food treats always win.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Try handling it everyday or every other day. You want your skink to trust you and to not think of you as a predator.
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:15 pm

Hi mate. Congrats on your bub :D

With my girls, I had a night and day situation. MY first baby, Gidge, was a lot older and more settled in herself, also an unusually large girl. It took me maybe 2 weeks with her. From day 1, I was in her face with my eagerness, but I didn't go to grab her. I would spend HOURS and I mean 3 - 4 hours sitting in front of her cage babbling, singing and whatever noises I wanted. I'd have the glass open and treats nearby and whenever she came to investigate the idiot in front of her new home, I would pay homage with blackberries, raspberries and banana. This seemed really effective, and has worked with other lizzies too.

When I first took her out I was SO afraid she might bite me (she was huffing) that I quickly deposited her in a box and rushed my butt upstairs to my pc. I had set up a maze of cardboard boxes with treats hidden inside and around. Laid down towels and all of that. She spent 2 hours exploring and nibbling, then dug under the towels and took a dump on the new carpet. I rushed her downstairs by hand chanting "please don't bite me" over and over again as she was sitting calmly in hand looking around. From then on, I was comfortable taking her by hand, and she has only ever bitten me once, by mistake when I reached into her mouth to wipe substrate off her tongue and FOOLISHLY thought she wouldn't chomp on the invasion. A regular thing I do with Gidge is naptimes. I bring her out and lay her on my chest, then just let her take a nap. She tends to like curling around my face with her head rested in my eyesocket, tail and body down around my throat.

Now Peewee, different story. She's a rescue of sorts and from day 1 has been very skittish and quick to snap. Since I was watching an injury, I didn't have the luxury of leaving her alone as she settled. But I tried food homage again. It worked to a degree, but Peewee has a real fear of people in general. with 90+% of her tail bitten off in food aggression, then left for months with lizards beating on her, she has every reason to be grr. For her, since she lines up bites slowly and does them completely calmly, I have a large box that she can roam in set up near my pc and I stuff treats and new objects in it for her while I talk on Discord. I tried the nap thing and took a bite to the neck. Peewee enjoys voice and talking a lot more than food homage and handling. So another thing is I sit in the room, let her out and lay on the ground. If she wants to investigate me, she can. Otherwise I just talk about issues close to the heart, offer a more sincere and calm tone.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”