Feisty

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Feisty

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:25 am

Hello, I got my first ever reptile at an Expo near by about 3 months ago. I've bought a Northern bts and he/she is currently four months old. When I go to pick them up it starts to huff and puff, backs off, and opens it's mouth... I have been handling it everyday and this has been going on ever since I've got him. It only happens when I reach in to pick 'em up, once he's out he's fine. I'm guessing it's because of territorial issues? But I'm not sure.. Any suggestions on what I should do is much appreciated!
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Feisty

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Mine has been doing the same. I'm pretty sure it's a territorial issue because mine seems to flatten itself. I usually gently pet him until it stops huffing then go to pick it up. If you are worried about it biting you wear a pair of thick gloves.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Well I usually just wait out the huffing, and I'm not really worried about the biting, It's just that It's been going on for a while and I just wanted to know if this was normal. But I guess I just need to keep working on him.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:35 pm

Try handling it everyday for a few minutes. Mine is very new and young and was very huffy. Iv've been handling it a couple times a day and its getting a lot easier to handle it.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:14 pm

Alright, thanks!! He's getting big so I want to tame him up before he's fully grown.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:34 pm

I'm glad I could help. When I went to take mine out of its cage today, it didn't even huff at me or try run away. I keep mine out for long periods of time since it doesn't seem to like its enclosure much and loves to explore my room. I might need to add a few things to its tank so it can explore more :)
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:10 pm

Mine has an on/off thing, some days it won't huff or run, others it will run and huff. And yes, mine also loves to explore my room! He especially loves to go under my desk and shelves. He also loves to stay under a little stick I got him. But, I don't see him basking a lot anymore, which is kinda strange.. He'll only bask when I put him in his basking spot.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Mine wasn't basking much but after a while, it started basking for a short amount of time. It's not much but it's something. Is your basking spot easily accessible?
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:36 am

Very, all he has to do is climb up on his hide. It's not hard, he's done it many times before.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:37 am

But he just stopped basking, it's not over heating either, it's being kept at around the 80's 90's. And he just spends a lot of time under his stick, burrowed.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:46 pm

Try having it between 95-100
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Alright, thanks! By the way, what do you feed your skink?
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:54 pm

I feed mine whatever fruits and vegetables I find in my kitchen (That are safe for skinks) and either cat food or eggs for protein.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 pm

I mainly feed him high quality dog food like Blue Buffalo, and add tons of carrots and peas and greens. I want to give him more but he's very picky, won't eat bugs, mango, grapes, strawberry, etc..
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Try adding basil. It adds flavor
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Alright, I'll try that. Thanks! :D
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:48 am

G'day mate. My FIRST question is HOW are you picking him up? If you are coming from above, then it likely is actually afraid of you. At such a young age and smaller size, blueys are more about speed and hiding. With my nine year old, I can stick my head in her cage and give her a kiss without even the slightest hiss or annoyance. With my baby, a single finger inside that is higher than her is terrifying and she curls up, open mouth, hisses with wide eyes and tries to back herself into hiding. Before that she is pretty sweet, comes up to the glass, inquisitive.

For my baby, I always talk as I am in the room, even if its not directly TO her. Just letting her hear me around has helped her. I also pick her up by sliding my hand under her. I keep my hand low and open, then put it under her chin (Yes I've been snapped) and let her curiosity get her to step up. Then I cup my other hand gently over her and out she comes. Its more coddly and perhaps not right, but I've noted a drastic improvement in her coming out since I started letting her have a say and not just hand over her body and lifting her out.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Ohh, well I usually go from up top because his enclosure is on the ground... We will be getting a table for him but I will keep that in mind!
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:26 am

BlueTongueBoris wrote:Ohh, well I usually go from up top because his enclosure is on the ground... We will be getting a table for him but I will keep that in mind!

If you're using a cage that opens to the top, that issue will always be there. That's why people argue for the side opening ones.
BlueTongueBoris
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BlueTongueBoris » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 pm

We are eventually going to get a different type of enclosure, but when we got that 40 gals it was on sale so... lol.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”