How to buy a BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
HyprStorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

How to buy a BTS

Postby HyprStorm » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:12 am

Hi there! I'm new here to these forums but I've loved animals (especially reptiles and fish) for a while. I have a couple of betta fish but I've wanted a reptile as well, and then I found the Blue Tongue Skink! They are honestly the cutest things ever! I have an aquarium I can use as his home but I don't have any bulbs or anything. Which Bulbs do I need and which substrate should I use? I have until November because on the 5th I'll probably go to the Midwest Reptile Show and find my new friend! How should I choose the right bts? Are there different kinds? Thanks
HyprStorm
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: How to buy a BTS

Postby HyprStorm » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:13 am

Will a 10-15 gal aquarium work for a baby/young bts?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 am

A 10-15 gal would not be enough to supply a temp gradient which they would need. You will need a warm and a cooler side so he/she can thermoregulate. Also a heat lamp could overheat a cage that size. Personally, I do not like glass aquariums for reptiles, but they are the most readily available. Your substrate and some other requirements will depend on the type of BTS you buy. If you are looking to buy at an expo, it will more than likely be an import (Gigas types, Indonesian) and will require more humidity than their Aussie counterparts. I'd suggest a vet check also, as imports are sometimes harboring parasites. I'd also suggest researching the different types available and see what would be the best for you to provide for.
EricaLikeBurrito
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby EricaLikeBurrito » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:31 pm

I recommend starting with a 20 gallon long tank (30x12x12) then upgrading to AT LEAST a 40 gallon breeder tank (36x18x18) when it is 10 months to a year old. Skinks don't climb that much so surface area is more important than hight. If you are getting a skink that needs higher humidity (like an Indonesian BTS) I recommend cypress mulch or topsoil for substrate since they maintain good humidity levels. If you are getting one that doesn't need much humidity (for example, the Northern BTS) aspen shavings or fir bark (I use Repti Bark which is made up of fir bark). I would recommend a 100 watt bulb with a lamp that has a dimmer so you can control the heat more easily. You might also need a UVB bulb if you don't plan on taking it outside everyday. I would get either a Northern BTS or an Indonesian BTS. It's all up to you but make sure you do a lot of research before getting one. Enjoy :)
BD99
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BD99 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm

G'day mate.

Personally, I am very against tanks for the reason that you reach INTO the tank from above, thus acting like a predator. If you use one though, I recommend a 3ft long, 2ft wide tank for the GET GO. It will last your baby for life. Lots of people sell their old tanks cheap, and if it is no longer watertight they even give them away. The biggest concern there is ensuring the glass isn't chipping internally as the blueys can eat the grains down and end up with glass in the stomach.

Heatlamp wise you will need a basking lamp that produces heat and UV. Talking celcius you want the main hotspot to be between 30deg to 40deg depending on the lizard breed you get. Northan's would be more towards 38/40 My Eastern Blueys like 36.
As for the UV, many people actually run a globe and not a tube for UVs, but the uv lighting needs to reach the entire cage. Unless you plan to give your lizard 3-6hours in sunlight everyday.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”