Can wild snails and bugs give my Bluetongue parasites that could be potentially fatal?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Montanabluetongue23
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Can wild snails and bugs give my Bluetongue parasites that could be potentially fatal?

Postby Montanabluetongue23 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:51 pm

I have a native keepers license and have a good knowledge of reptiles in general especially. Ive recently came across information that apparently feeding my Bluetongue "wild" snails, worms etc could give him parasites and could potentially be fatal.. I understand if I were to give him a poisoned snail it could make him ill and be potentionally fatal however the snails/worms are from MY garden which is 100% organic, pesticide, herbicide and bait free and I don't understand the logic behind the theory of snails/worms having parasites and being potentionally fatal.. If that's the case then how have lizards even survived in nature? Really mind boggled so if someone can debunk this one for me that'd be great.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Can wild snails and bugs give my Bluetongue parasites that could be potentially fatal?

Postby splashy07 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:45 am

I would think that would depend where they are collected from. But even if you don't use pesticides your neighbors may, and a poisoned bug could wander into your yard. Many wild animals will develop an immunity to such things eventually, but captive animals do not possess the same immunity as they are not exposed. I breed all my own feeder insects as I do not even trust pet shops and commercial suppliers. Commercial/store bought insects are often cannibalizing eachother and not kept as meticulously as I do. Personally, I would steer clear of feeding wild caught.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Re: Can wild snails and bugs give my Bluetongue parasites that could be potentially fatal?

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 am

If in doubt , don't give them. That's the safest policy.

You can harvest the wild snails and keep them in an esky and feed them up for a week or two and give them a change to purge , perhaps even breed .... that might be safer.
kingofnobbys
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:58 am

Montanabluetongue23 wrote:I have a native keepers license and have a good knowledge of reptiles in general especially. Ive recently came across information that apparently feeding my Bluetongue "wild" snails, worms etc could give him parasites and could potentially be fatal.. I understand if I were to give him a poisoned snail it could make him ill and be potentionally fatal however the snails/worms are from MY garden which is 100% organic, pesticide, herbicide and bait free and I don't understand the logic behind the theory of snails/worms having parasites and being potentionally fatal.. If that's the case then how have lizards even survived in nature? Really mind boggled so if someone can debunk this one for me that'd be great.

Snails and slugs : Around 5% of common garden snails in and around Sydney contain larvae of the parasite Angiostrongylus cantonensis, commonly known as the rat lungworm. It is probably more common in Brisbane and is seen on the coast from far north Queensland down to Jervis Bay.
Scotts1au
Great Scott
Great Scott

Postby Scotts1au » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 pm

Highly unlikely. Go well, go shell. :-)
If you wait, all that happens is that you get older. M. Andretti

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”